Festivale is an event in the Animal Crossing series that occurs in Animal Crossing: City Folk, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons. It takes place in February or March, two days before Ash Wednesday. Pavé hosts the event and during it, confetti falls from the sky and items themed around the event can be obtained. The player's objective is to collect specific items as requested by Pavé. If the player obtains the items, Pavé will give them an item from the Pavé Series (City Folk and New Leaf) or Festivale Series (New Horizons). In City Folk, the player must collect candy, while in New Leaf and New Horizons the player must collect feathers.
The plaza during Festivale in New Horizons
|February or March (see recurrence)|
|Name in other languages|
In City Folk
In Animal Crossing: City Folk during the day, neighbors walking around the town will challenge the player by asking them to play games, with the chance to win candy. However, if the player loses, they have to give some candy or 500 Bells to the villager. There is no limit of how many games can be played with the neighbors, but only the ones outside of their homes will offer to play games.
The games are as follows:
- Imaginary Soccer - The neighbor will pretend to be a sports commentator and will act out a soccer scene. In response, the player has to select either I'll kick left/right or I'll protect left/right. The player has to score or protect two times in a row. This will result in the neighbor giving them a random colored item of candy.
- Rock, Paper, Scissors - The neighbor will play a word game of rock, paper, scissors, and the neighbor will shout their answer. The player has to be the first to get it right two times in a row to win a randomly selected item of candy.
- Coin Toss - The neighbor will pretend to flip a coin and will ask the player what side they think it will be facing up. Players have to do this 3 times in a row - if they lose at all, they lose the game. When they win, they can pick what color candy they want to receive.
- What hand the candy is in - The neighbor will ask players which hand they think the candy is in. Their guess must be correct both times in the two rounds. Getting it wrong once will result in a loss. Once they win, they get a random piece of candy.
- Psychic/ESP Test - The neighbor will ask players what the image in their mind is. Players must get both questions right to get the candy. The first question is out of 3 shapes: either circle, triangle, and square. The second question is what fruit players think the villager pictures in their mind: apple, peach, orange, cherry and pear (occasionally, none will be an option in place of one of the fruit options). One wrong guess results in losing. If players win, they get to pick what color candy they receive.
The candy the player has won can be given to Pavé, who will exchange it for furniture in the Pavé Series. However, players must have three of the color candy he asks for.
If a player buries a pitfall seed on the day of the Festivale, it may turn into candy the following day.
In New Leaf
In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, the event is slightly different compared to the Festivale in City Folk. Unlike the objective in City Folk, the player must collect feathers instead of candy for Pavé. During the day, feathers can be seen falling from the sky along with confetti (the feathers can be obtained using a net).
The villagers walking around the town can be found wearing headdresses with different colored feathers on top of them. They may also be heard singing the town tune. Villagers inside and outside their homes will both offer to play games with the player to win feathers. Some villagers will offer the player a feather without asking for anything in return.
Pavé appears in the event plaza and will ask the player to find feathers of a specific color. If the player obtains the specific number of feathers requested by Pavé or obtains a rainbow feather, then Pavé performs a dance. After Pavé has finished dancing, he will give the player an item from the Pavé Series. If he is given a Rainbow Feather, he will perform a special dance and give the player Pavé's Pic instead.
- Trading - Villagers may ask to trade one of the player's feathers for theirs (exchange colors).
- Charades - The villager will perform emotes depicting a concept. The player then needs to choose the correct concept from a list.
- Rock, Paper, Scissors - The villager starts a countdown whereupon reaching 1 the player selects either rock, paper, or scissors. The player only has to win once to obtain the feather.
- - "I got a pink feather! I can hardly resist the zest!"
- "I got a red feather! It's got the passion of fire!"
- - "I got a blue feather! It's as cool as a breeze!"
- - "I got a green feather! It's so easy on the eyes!"
- - "I got a yellow feather! It begs for your attention!"
- - "I got a white feather! It's so so soft and pure!"
- - "I got a purple feather! It was yearning for my net!"
- - "Yippeeeee! I got a rainbow feather! These are extremely rare!"
In New Horizons
While initially absent from Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Festivale was added in the 1.7.0 Free Update. Pavé returns as the host of the event, and like in New Leaf, the player must catch and bring him colored feathers.
From February 1 until the day before the event, Nook's Cranny sells Festivale-themed furniture, and the Able Sisters sells Festivale-themed clothing. Additionally, for a limited time, Nook's Cranny sells the Viva Festivale Reaction Set, which includes four Festivale-themed Reactions: Feelin' It, Let's Go, Viva, and Confetti.
On the day of Festivale, Pavé asks the player for three of a specific color of feathers—either a Blue Feather, Green Feather, Purple Feather, or Red Feather—which can be found floating around the island and can be caught with a net. If the player gives him the correct three feathers, or a single Rainbow Feather, Pavé gives them a random item from the Festivale Series. After the player exchanges feathers with Pavé nine times, he will ask them to bring him three Rainbow Feathers. If the player brings him them, he will give them the Festivale Float.
During the event, villagers dress up in Festivale-themed clothing (male villagers wear Festivale Costume and female - Festivale Tank Dress) and can trade one to three feathers with the player. Villagers will ask for feathers of the same color as their outfits if the player has any, and feathers of other colors if they do not. The color of the feathers that they are willing to trade for will vary.
In amiibo Festival
In the Board Game mode in Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival, Pavé appears and all spaces turn into feather spaces. When a space is landed on, the player receives the feather indicated on the space and Pavé awards them a prize. Yellow feathers give 3,000 Bells, red feathers give 10 Happy Points, green feathers give 10 turnips, and rainbow feathers give 10 Happy Points, 3,000 Bells, and 10 turnips.
A blue feather during the Festivale in Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Festivale in the Southern Hemisphere in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Bulletin board announcement in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Timmy and Tommy during Festivale in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Mabel during Festivale in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Names in other languages
- Nintendo (January 26, 2021). "Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Free Update 1.28.20". YouTube. Retrieved January 26, 2021.
- Ryan Craddock (January 26, 2021). "Animal Crossing: New Horizons' Next Free Update Arrives This Week". Nintendo Life. Retrieved January 26, 2021.