From Nookipedia, the Animal Crossing wiki
Revision as of 01:48, October 9, 2021 by Contributor34 (talk | contribs) (→‎In {{PG|nolink}}: just a minor change to the wording to make it clearer)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jack NH Character Icon.png Halloween  
NH Jack Fall Update.jpg
October 31st
Music (New Horizons)
Time 6 PM — 1 AM[nb 1]
6 PM — 12 AM[nb 2]
5 PM — 12 AM[nb 3][1]
Host Jack
Visitors Tortimer
Main appearances
Other appearances
Name in other languages

Halloween is an event in the Animal Crossing series that is celebrated on October 31. During the event, Jack, the self-proclaimed Czar of Halloween, appears at night. During this time, both Jack and villagers around the town will ask the player for Candy. In all games, items from the Spooky Series can be obtained from the event. Halloween appears in all main series Animal Crossing games except Animal Crossing: Wild World.


In Animal Crossing[edit]

In Animal Crossing, from 6:00 PM until 1:00 AM, the player can go around their town where all the villagers are found wandering outside wearing identical costumes to look like Jack, a special character who wears a jack-o-lantern on his head and purple clothing. If the player is seen by the villagers, they will be chased. If they are caught, they will be forced to give Candy to the animal. If they do not provide Candy, they will be punished by having their clothes or their items transformed. Jack and Tortimer are the only two characters who do not chase the player, which makes them easy to be told apart. Tortimer will give the player Katrina's Tent when spoken to. Jack can be spoken to as many times as the player desires in order to receive furniture from the Spooky Series. He will move to a different spot in town once the player leaves the acre.

In City Folk[edit]

Halloween was absent from Animal Crossing: Wild World, but returns in Animal Crossing: City Folk. Unlike the original Animal Crossing, not all villagers go out on Halloween night - those who remain inside become targets for trick-or-treating. Approaching a villager while indoors will result in the villager giving the player candy, but only if the player is wearing a costume which makes up a Look in GracieGrace. An example of an appropriate Look is the witch's hat and cloak, which are sold throughout August, September and October, and make up a suitably spooky costume. Costumes don't necessarily have to be spooky, however.

In addition to trick-or-treating indoors, from 6:00 PM until midnight, villagers will chase the player outside upon seeing them, and if the player is caught by villagers outside, they will ask for Candy. If the player doesn't have any on them, the villager will play a trick on the player, resulting in one of the following:

  • An item in the player's pocket may be turned into a Jack-in-the-Box
  • Any worn accessory may be turned into a Pumpkin Head
  • The player's shirt/dress may be transformed into a Moldy or Patched Shirt/dress.

Unlike villagers, Jack will not chase the player, making him easy to distinguish. If Jack is approached by the player without having any candy on them, Jack will give out one of four items: a Pumpkin Head, Moldy Shirt, Patched Shirt, or a Jack-in-the-Box. Refusing to give candy to Jack four times will result in obtaining all four of those items. Otherwise, if the player gives Jack candy, Jack will give the player a piece of furniture from the Spooky Series.

In New Leaf[edit]

Halloween is carried out the same as in City Folk, but with a few extra details. On Halloween night, the player's goal is to scare the villagers in their town. To prepare for this, during the month of October, players should buy masks from the Able Sisters, and candy from Timmy and Tommy's store. Speaking to villagers during October may reveal to the player what they are scared of. The player may also have the chance to give villagers a piece of candy in exchange for finding out what costumes scare the other villagers.

On Halloween night (6 PM - 12 AM), the majority of villagers will be in their homes; the rest will be dressed as Jack and will try to trick the player. The player has three tasks they can do:

  • Scare the villagers - The player can scare villagers in their homes by wearing the mask that each villager is scared of. When the player scares a villager, the villager will give the player a lollipop. If the player fails to scare a villager, they will get a chance to play a game with the villager; if the player wins, the villager will give the player a piece of candy. If the player loses, the villager will do a trick, such as changing the flooring of the main room of the player's home, or changing one of the player's inventory items into a Jack-in-the-box. If the player has nothing on them, they will get old Wallpaper or Flooring instead.
  • Interact with villagers outside - All outdoor villagers will be dressed as Jack. The villager may offer to play a game and will give the player candy as a prize. Otherwise, the villager may just perform a trick on the player.
  • Find Jack - Jack can be given lollipops in exchange for pieces of the Creepy Theme. The Pumpkin King can also be given candy in exchange for Halloween furniture or clothing.

In New Horizons[edit]

Jack introducing himself to the player in New Horizons

While initially absent from Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Halloween returned in the Fall Update, with Jack reprising his role as host of the event.

On October 1, Jack sends the player a letter informing them about Halloween; attached is Jack's Portrait. Throughout the month, Candy can be purchased from Nook's Cranny for  120 Bells each once a day[1] and Halloween-themed costumes can be purchased from the Able Sisters. Additionally, villagers can teach the player Spooky Series DIY recipes throughout the month, and special body paint and colored eye contacts can be unlocked by spending  2,400 Nook Miles each.[2] When talking to a villager crafting a recipe that the player had already received, there's a 70% chance that the player will receive five Orange Pumpkins and 30% to recieve one Candy.[3] From October 28 to October 31, Tom Nook, Isabelle, Timmy, Tommy, and Mabel wear the Impish Horns, Mage's Striped Hat, Flashy Pointy-Ear Animal Hat, Flashy Round-Ear Animal Hat, and Impish Horns, respectively, and two Spooky Towers appear outside Resident Services.

From 5 PM to 12 AM on October 31, outdoor villagers, who are dressed in costumes, will ask for Candy from the player; if the player does not give them Candy, the villager will "trick" the player by applying body and face paint along with colored eye contacts. Indoor villagers, also dressed in costumes, will give players Candy every five minutes.

If the player gives a villager Candy or a Lollipop, they will give them an item or DIY recipe from the Spooky Series or a Lollipop in return. Additionally, players can give Candy or Lollipops to Jack, who walks around outside Resident Services, in return for Jack's Face, Jack's Robe, a Spooky Carriage, and the latter's DIY recipe. Besides being decorative, Jack's Face and Jack's Robe will trick villagers into thinking the player is Jack if both are worn, and the villager will give the player Candy regardless of whether they have already done so. However, each villager will only be fooled once, and will then treat the costume as a standard Halloween costume.

There are two reactions, Scare and Haunt, that can be learned from the event; the former by giving Candy to any villager, and the latter by giving Candy to Jack.

Face paints during Halloween
Design Zombie.png
Design Mummy.png
Design Jester.png
Design Scarecrow.png

In amiibo Festival[edit]

In the Board Game mode in Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival, Jack appears on October 1 and scatters pieces of candy across the town. Throughout the month, players can collect the candy; candy appears floating between spaces in groups of 3 or 5. At the end of the day on October 31, Jack appears again and depending on how much candy was collected in total, gives all the players Happy Points. If 180 or more pieces of candy were collected throughout the month, Jack gives all players 20 Happy Points. He then gives each player a different amount of bonus Happy Points based on how much candy they collected; first-place receives 20 Happy Points, second-place receives 15, third-place receives 10, and fourth-place receives 5.




  1. In Doubutsu no Mori, Animal Crossing, and Doubutsu no Mori e+
  2. In City Folk and New Leaf
  3. In New Horizons


  1. 1.0 1.1 Nintendo (September 25, 2020). "Animal Crossing: New Horizons Fall Update – Nintendo Switch". YouTube. Retrieved September 25, 2020.
  2. Nintendo (September 25, 2020). "Animal Crossing: New Horizons delivers pumpkins, costumes and a Halloween event with fall update". animal-crossing.com.
  3. asteriation. "1.5.0 update". asteriation’s miscellaneous ACNH resources. Retrieved August 26, 2021.