1.4.0 Summer Update (Wave 2)
The Summer Update (Wave 2) (version 1.4.0), known in Europe as the Free Summer Update Vol. 2, and Australia as the Free Update Vol. 2 was an update for Animal Crossing: New Horizons released on July 30, 2020. This update marked the return of the Fireworks Show, a staple in the Animal Crossing series, as well as the return of Luna and the dream mechanic. It was announced on July 28, 2020.
- The Fireworks Show returns in 1.4.0, happening every Sunday throughout August. Isabelle will give the player a random bopper hat and allow the player to submit up to ten custom fireworks from their custom desings during the show. Redd is present during the show operating a raffle stand for any handheld items for the Firework Show.
- On the day of the Fireworks Show, Able Sisters will sell either the Casual Kimono, Kabuki-Actor Yukata, or Morning-Glory Yukata, clothing traditionally associated with hanabi taikai in Japan
- Depending on Hemisphere settings, Redd will wear a Straw Boater in the Northern Hemisphere, or a Dandy Hat in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The dream mechanic returns in 1.4.0, alongside the proprietor Luna. Players can upload their own dream islands or visit any other dream islands. Unlike New Leaf, there is no charge to enter a dream island, and accessing a dream island requires a bed item to sleep on.
- The King Tut Mask returns in 1.4.0, acting with the same tripping mechanics as it had before.
- A new feature was added to the NookPhone Camera app, allowing to turn off the guide information by pressing in the R Stick.
- A new feature has been added to the Custom Designs Portal which allows searching by design name or type. Additionally, players can now create a list of favorite creators.
- A new feature has been added for backing up save data to Nintendo's servers via the internet. Players can use backed up save data with the island backup restoration service if their Nintendo Switch system is lost or broken.
- New Nook Shopping seasonal events include the following events:
- Cowboy Festival, meant to coincide with the traditional Brazilian Festa do Peão de Barretos, is celebrated throughout August with a Rodeo-Style Springy Ride-On.
- Cowherd & Weaver Girl Day, a holiday to celebrate two lovers that only meet annually, is celebrated throughout August with Hikoboshi Outfit and Orihime Outfit.
- In celebration of various festivities in Europe, the Grape Harvest Festival is held during September with a Grape-Harvest Basket.
- Moon-Viewing Day, meant to coincide with the real-life Mid-Autumn Festival, is celebrated from September 7 to October 8 with a Moon Rug.
- The Funny Glasses item now matches up with player skin color variations.
- In 1.4.1, the texture for Sumo Ring was removed and left a glitchy texture, and was not fixed until 1.4.2.
- The names of the following items were changed:
- Polka-Dot Mini Skirt → Polka-Dot Miniskirt
- Fixed an issue where trees could grow fast and contain things other than the normal fruit, etc.
- Fixed an issue where shining soil disappears after a player returns to their own island after a dream and buried Bells appear in that location instead.
- Fixed an issue where the player swings their shovel through the air when attempting to hit a rock placed at a certain location.
- From Ver. 1.4.1:
- Fixed issue where the Sumo Ring would not display properly.
- From Ver. 1.4.0:
- Fixed issue where the game would shut down under certain conditions when dreaming.
- Fixed issue where shining soil would improperly appear behind buildings and other places.
- Fixed issue where specific message cards sent from villagers the player is close friends with would not arrive in the player's mailbox as intended.
- From Ver. 1.3.0:
- Changed the MTU when playing with others from 1364 to 1240 in order to investigate an issue where players cannot play with others in certain network environments.
Items added in 1.4.0
- Nintendo UK (July 28, 2020). "The next summer update arrives July 30th in Animal Crossing: New Horizons! (Nintendo Switch)". YouTube. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- NintendoAU (July 28, 2020). "The next free update arrives July 30th in Animal Crossing: New Horizons! (Nintendo Switch)". YouTube. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- Nintendo (July 28, 2020). "Animal Crossing: New Horizons Summer Update - Wave 2 - Nintendo Switch". YouTube. Retrieved January 30, 2021.