1.4.0 Summer Update (Wave 2)
The Summer Update (Wave 2) (version 1.4.0), known in Europe as the Free Summer Update Vol. 2, and Australia as the Free Update Vol. 2 was an update for Animal Crossing: New Horizons released on July 30, 2020. This update marked the return of the Fireworks Show, a staple in the Animal Crossing series, as well as the return of Luna and the dream mechanic. It was announced on July 28, 2020.
- The Fireworks Show returns in 1.4.0, happening every Sunday throughout August. Isabelle will give the player a random bopper hat and allow the player to submit up to ten custom fireworks from their custom desings during the show. Redd is present during the show operating a raffle stand for any handheld items for the Firework Show.
- On the day of the Fireworks Show, Able Sisters will sell either the Casual Kimono, Kabuki-Actor Yukata, or Morning-Glory Yukata, clothing traditionally associated with hanabi taikai in Japan
- Depending on Hemisphere settings, Redd will wear a Straw Boater in the Northern Hemisphere, or a Dandy Hat in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The dream mechanic returns in 1.4.0, alongside the proprietor Luna. Players can upload their own dream islands or visit any other dream islands. Unlike New Leaf, there is no charge to enter a dream island, and accessing a dream island requires a bed item to sleep on.
- A new feature was added to the NookPhone Camera app, allowing to turn off the guide information by pressing in the R Stick.
- A new feature has been added to the Custom Designs Portal which allows searching by design name or type. Additionally, players can now create a list of favorite creators.
- A new feature has been added for backing up save data to Nintendo's servers via the internet. Players can use backed up save data with the island backup restoration service if their Nintendo Switch system is lost or broken.
- New Nook Shopping seasonal events include the following events:
- Cowboy Festival, meant to coincide with the traditional Brazilian Festa do Peão de Barretos, is celebrated throughout August with a Rodeo-Style Springy Ride-On.
- Cowherd & Weaver Girl Day, meant to coincide with the Chinese Qixi Festival observed in multiple parts of Asia, is celebrated throughout August with Hikoboshi Outfit and Orihime Outfit.
- In celebration of various festivities in Europe, the Grape Harvest Festival is held during September with a Grape-Harvest Basket.
- Moon-Viewing Day, meant to coincide with the real-life Mid-Autumn Festival, is celebrated from September 7 to October 8 with a Moon Rug.
Items added in 1.4.0
- The Funny Glasses item now matches up with player skin color variations.
- The names of the following items were changed:
- Polka-Dot Mini Skirt → Polka-Dot Miniskirt
- An issue where Pascal could not give a DIY recipe for a Mermaid Series furniture due to him checking the player's catalog was fixed.
- Trees that could bare any item other than fruits/Bells (e.g. star trees) were patched out. Any existing trees are immediately converted to money trees.
- An issue where shining soil disappears after a player returns to their own island after a dream and buried Bells appear in that location instead was fixed.
- An issue where the player could swing their shovel through the air when attempting to hit a rock placed at a certain location was fixed.
- An issue from version 1.4.1 where the Sumo Ring's texture was deleted was fixed.
- An issue from version 1.4.0 where the game could shut down during dreaming under certain conditions was fixed.
- An issue from version 1.4.0 where the shining soil would appear behind buildings and other places was fixed.
- An issue from version 1.4.0 where the mailbox would not receive certain message cards sent from villager that the player is close friends with was fixed.
- To address an issue from version 1.3.0 where players cannot play with others in certain network environments, the maximum transmission unit (MTU) was adjusted from 1364 to 1240.
- Nintendo UK (July 28, 2020). "The next summer update arrives July 30th in Animal Crossing: New Horizons! (Nintendo Switch)". YouTube. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- NintendoAU (July 28, 2020). "The next free update arrives July 30th in Animal Crossing: New Horizons! (Nintendo Switch)". YouTube. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- Nintendo (July 28, 2020). "Animal Crossing: New Horizons Summer Update - Wave 2 - Nintendo Switch". YouTube. Retrieved January 30, 2021.