Animal Crossing: New Horizons version 1.6.0 – Free Winter Update
The Winter Update for Animal Crossing: New Horizons (version 1.6.0) was an update released on November 19, 2020. The update brought two returning holidays: Turkey Day and Toy Day, alongside their respective hosts Franklin and Jingle. Additional improvements, including increased storage capacity and new hairstyles were also added. It was announced on November 17, 2020. Players who downloaded this update would receive a Yule Log as a gift.
Events and holidays
Harvest Festival has been renamed to Turkey Day in its return in 1.6.0, but the event is still hosted by Franklin as with New Leaf. During this event, Franklin will ask the player to collect various ingredients for four dishes in exchange for a Turkey Day Rug, a Turkey Day Wall, a Turkey Day Flooring, and a Cornucopia in order. If the player has difficulties getting a specific ingredient, villagers that are inside their house will exchange ingredients. Each dish also has a secret ingredient that, if given to Franklin, will give a Turkey Day Series furniture that can only be crafted. If the player manages to give Franklin a secret ingredient for every dish, he will give the player the Cozy Turkey Day DIY
For Northern Hemisphere players, Turkey Day is taken as a celebration of the fall harvest, while for Southern Hemisphere players it is taken as a celebration of spring. This is reflected by every furniture outside of Resident Services and the Turkey Day Series being customized for their respective hemispheres, and the change in ingredients that are required for each dish. If the player misses Turkey Day, from after Turkey Day until the end of November, Nook's Cranny will sell the Cozy Turkey Day DIY pack and Turkey Day furniture for 19,800 Bells.
This event is time-locked, and only unlocks on 1.6.xa.
Toy Day, and its host Jingle, return in 1.6.0. In the days preceding Toy Day, Nook's Cranny will sell a random toy and Able Sisters will sell Festive-related clothing. This portion is time-locked, and only occurs on 1.6.xb.
During Toy Day itself, Jingle will give the player a DIY recipe for the Festive Wrapping Paper, and asks for them to craft three for him. Once completed, the player given a Toy Day Stockings and Jingle gives the player the task to deliver gifts to every villager. If the player has a high friendship with a villager, when the player gives them their gift, the villager will give the player a toy item back. After completing the task, the player will earn the Gift Pile DIY. If the player hangs up their Toy Day Stockings on Toy Day, then from December 31 to January 1, the player can receive Jingle's Photo. Toy Day itself is time-locked, and only unlocks on 1.6.xc.
In a first in the series, Toy Day has two variants of its composition. A festive, calming rendition for Toy Day in the Northern Hemisphere and an upbeat, vibrant rendition for Toy Day in the Southern Hemisphere.
Nook Shopping seasonal events
New Nook Shopping seasonal events include the following events:
- To add on to the Winter Solstice and Summer Solstice, the Aurora Wall and Sunflower Rug were added alongside the Midwinter Sweater and Sunflower Crown respectively. They are available throughout December.
- Four items related to New Year's Eve were added are are available from December 26 to December 31: New Year's Noodles for Ōmisoka, Berliner for Silvester, Twelve-Grape Dish for Nochevieja, and Sparkling Cider for New Year's Eve. They all relate to their respective local holiday traditions for New Year's Eve.
- The Japanese New Year, or Shōgatsu, features three items available from January 1 to January 15: the Kadomatsu, Kagamimochi, and New Year's Shimekazari.
- Other items available from January 1 to January 15 to celebrate the New Year include the 2021 celebratory arch, Olivier Salad, Yut Nori, and Zodiac Ox Figurine. They all relate to their respective local holiday traditions for the New Year.
Island life improvements
Tom Nook can now offer the player to expand their storage for 500,000 Bells if they paid off all their home loan. This expansion moves the player up from 1600 storage slots to 2400. The player can also redeem Nook Miles for the Hip Reaction Collection to obtain nine new Reactions—Sit Down, Wave Goodbye, Take a Picture, Sniff Sniff, Work Out, Yoga, Here You Go, Excited, and Ta-da. Six new hairstyles have also been added and are obtainable from Top 6 Stylish Hairstyles.
- Luna can now send players to random dream islands as she did before in New Leaf. The option to activate this is "Surprise me".
- The Save Data Transfer feature, which allows island save data or a single player's save data to be transferred to another Nintendo Switch, has been added.
- A new promotion item for Pocket Camp was added: the Pocket Camp Phone Case.
Items added in 1.6.0
- The availability of the Sunflower Crown and Midwinter Sweater were changed. Previously, the items were available in both hemispheres around June 6 to July 7. In 1.6.0, this was changed in that the items associated with their respective season would only appear on the hemispheres that were experiencing those seasons. In this instance for December, the Midwinter Sweater was only available for Northern Hemisphere players for the Winter Solstice, and the Sunflower Crown was only available for Southern Hemisphere players for the Summer Solstice.
- Leif now sells Pumpkin Starts year-round instead of limited to just October.
- The names of the following items were changed:
- Any tables created to duplicate miscellaneous furniture items on 1.2.0 prior to the 1.2.1 patch will no longer work.
- The NookLink mobile app now allows players to view their catalog. This update was announced alongside the 1.6.0 update and was released on November 29, 2020.
- Nintendo (November 17, 2020). "Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Free Winter Update - Nintendo Switch". YouTube. Retrieved January 30, 2021.