Animal Crossing: New Horizons version 1.6.0 – Free Winter Update
The Winter Update (version 1.6.0), known in Australia as the Free Update, was an update for Animal Crossing: New Horizons released on November 19, 2020. The update brought two returning holidays: Turkey Day and Toy Day, alongside their respective hosts Franklin and Jingle. Additional improvements, including increased storage capacity and new hairstyles were also added. It was announced on November 17, 2020.
- Harvest Festival has been renamed to Turkey Day in its return in 1.6.0, but the event is still hosted by Franklin as with New Leaf.
- For Northern Hemisphere players, Turkey Day is taken as a celebration of the fall harvest, while for Southern Hemisphere players it is taken as a celebration of spring. This is reflected by every furniture outside of Resident Services and the Turkey Day Series being customized for their respective hemispheres.
- If the player misses Turkey Day, from after Turkey Day until November Nook's Cranny will sell the Cozy Turkey Day DIY pack and Turkey Day furniture for 19,800 Bells.
- Toy Day, and its host Jingle, return in 1.6.0.
- In the days preceding Toy Day, Nook's Cranny will sell a random toy and Able Sisters will sell Festive-related clothing.
- In a first in the series, Toy Day has two variants of its composition. A festive, calming rendition for Toy Day in the Northern Hemisphere and a upbeat, vibrant rendition for Toy Day in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Luna can now send players to random dream islands as she did before in New Leaf. The option to activate this is "Surprise me".
- Nine new Reactions—Sit Down, Wave Goodbye, Take a Picture, Sniff Sniff, Work Out, Yoga, Here You Go, Excited, and Ta-da—are added in 1.6.0, and they can be obtained via Hip Reaction Collection.
- Six new hairstyles are added and are obtainable from Top 6 Stylish Hairstyles.
- Tom Nook can now offer the player to expand their storage if they paid off all their home loan. This expansion moves the player up from 1600 storage slots to 2400.
- The Save Data Transfer feature, which allows island save data or a single player's save data to be transferred to another Nintendo Switch, has been added.
- A new promotion item for Pocket Camp was added: the Pocket Camp Phone Case.
- New Nook Shopping seasonal events include the following events:
- To add on to the Winter Solstice and Summer Solstice, the Aurora Wall and Sunflower Rug were added alongside the Midwinter Sweater and Sunflower Crown respectively. They are available throughout December.
- Four items related to New Year's Eve were added are are available from December 26 to December 31: New Year's Noodles for Ōmisoka, Berliner for Silvester, Twelve-Grape Dish for Nochevieja, and Sparkling Cider for New Year's Eve. They all relate to their respective local holiday traditions for New Year's Eve.
- The Japanese New Year, or Shōgatsu, features three items available from January 1 to January 15: the Kadomatsu, Kagamimochi, and New Year's Shimekazari.
- Other items available from January 1 to January 15 to celebrate the New Year include the 2021 Celebratory Arch, Olivier Salad, Yut Nori, and Zodiac Ox Figurine. They all relate to their respective local holiday traditions for the New Year.
Items added in 1.6.0
- The availability of the Sunflower Crown and Midwinter Sweater were changed. Previously, the items were available in both hemispheres around June 6 to July 7. In 1.6.0, this was changed in that the items associated with their respective season would only appear on the hemispheres that were experiencing those seasons. In this instance for December, the Midwinter Sweater was only available for Northern Hemisphere players for the Winter Solstice, and the Sunflower Crown was only available for Southern Hemisphere players for the Summer Solstice.
- Leif now sells Pumpkin Starts year-round instead of limited to just October.
- The names of the following items were changed:
- Any tables created to duplicate miscellaneous furniture items on 1.2.0 prior to the 1.2.1 patch will no longer work.
- The NookLink mobile app now allows players to view their catalog. This update was announced alongside the 1.6.0 update and was released on November 29, 2020.
- NintendoAU (November 17, 2020). "Free update arrives November 19th! – Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo Switch)". YouTube. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- Nintendo (November 17, 2020). "Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Free Winter Update - Nintendo Switch". YouTube. Retrieved January 30, 2021.