Guide:Easter Eggs, Glitches, and Secrets
A list of little-known facts, tips and tricks in the Animal Crossing series.
- 1 Animal Crossing
- 1.1 Change inventory background
- 1.2 Villagers in the river
- 1.3 Intact Mail
- 1.4 Trees always grow
- 1.5 Keep turnips from spoiling
- 1.6 Double your money
- 1.7 Glitch items
- 1.8 Pattern switch glitch
- 1.9 Whale in the sea
- 1.10 Gulliver in the water
- 1.11 Forcing mail delivery
- 1.12 Fake Reset
- 1.13 6th reset secret
- 2 Animal Crossing: Wild World
- 3 Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- 4 Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp
Change inventory background
In Animal Crossing, it's possible to change the pattern displayed in the inventory background. To do this, drag a shirt from the player's pocket to the bottom right of the inventory space. This will change the background to match the new shirt's pattern. The default pattern is from the Big Dot Shirt.
Villagers in the river
For a short period of time after being hit with a net, villagers are able to pass over invisible barriers. This allows them to be pushed into all bodies of water as well as over holes and even into houses.
Any items attached to letters saved by the player at the Post Office will not be deleted when a player chooses to delete their town. This makes the process of deleting and restarting Animal Crossing much easier, as it allows the player to keep any items they wish to carry over to their new town.
Trees always grow
If the player has a fruit that they really want to grow, they can chop down an existing tree, uproot the stump, then plant the desired fruit. So long as the fruit is not planted next to an existing tree, the planted tree is guaranteed to grow. This technique also works to grow money trees, although it doesn't guarantee that it will have Bells. Remember that coconuts must be planted in an F acre and that pine trees only grow in an A or B acre.
Keep turnips from spoiling
Any turnips left in the player's island bungalow will not spoil so long as the player does not copy island data to the GBA on the way back to the mainland. The island home can store up to 64 turnips. Turnips will also keep fresh if they make their way into the Lost & Found. This can be accomplished by placing turnips in places where NPCs will move in on top of them (e.g. summer camper, villager homes, Chip, or Redd).
Double your money
This trick requires two memory cards, one with existing Animal Crossing town data and another with space available for travel data.
- Deposit all Bells at the post-office and speak with Porter about going on a trip.
- Save travel data to the memory card that does not contain town data.
- Save and quit, then take out the memory card with the travel data and start the game using the memory card containing the town data.
- Select the default character when given the option at the character selection screen.
- Take Bells to be duplicated out of savings and drop them on the ground, then save and quit.
- Reinsert the memory card with the travel data, and decline when asked "Do you want to use data from your visitor?"
- Once the game loads, the Bells will have been duplicated; the Bells will be on the ground as well as in the player's savings account.
There are several items in Animal Crossing that can be hacked into the game using an Action Replay device, or even acquired through normal gameplay as is the case with the dummy item. These items can cause the game to freeze if dropped in an acre, may never be able to be picked up again, or may remain stuck in a player's inventory. Handle them at your own risk.
Pattern switch glitch
When a player travels to another town via the train station, their saved patterns will replace those of the host's town. To be clear, the patterns in question are not the ones in the player's inventory, they are those saved at Able Sisters.
Whale in the sea
While traveling to the island with Kapp'n a huge shadow may appear in the water next to the boat. Other players have witnessed the whale off the coast of the island. The walking on water glitch or Action Replay can be used to reach the whale, but he will not bite the lure if the fishing rod is used.
Gulliver in the water
On rare occasions when traveling to the island the player may witness Gulliver floating by on the waves. A video of this can be found here.
Forcing mail delivery
The player can receive mail order items immediately by saving & quitting, and then reloading the game after the items are ordered from Nook.
Probably the most infamous easter egg is the fake reset. When you reset for the seventh time, Mr. Resetti will threaten to reset your savefile. The reset animation plays and he then tells you that it was fake.
6th reset secret
When you have reset for the 6th time, Resetti will force you to type out "I'm sorry", however if you type any of the following phrases he'll get really angry. Some of the reactions are really vulgar.
- no way
- No way!
- shut up
- go away
- Shut up!
- Go away!
- Bite me!
- U R ugly
- You stink
- I + reset
- You suck!
- I hate you
- Moles suck
- Who cares?
Find out tomorrow's weather
To find out what tomorrow's weather is going to be like, turn on the T.V. fifteen minutes before 7 AM, 8 AM, 12 PM, 6 PM, and 10 PM. It starts 45 minutes after the hour. It will tell you tomorrow's weather. This is useful for finding the Coelacanth, because it has to be raining or snowing.
Wishing upon the Star
Shooting stars can be seen and heard on clear or cloudy nights when it is not raining or snowing. Look at the top screen and wait for a shooting star to go by. When you see one, tap your character with your stylus, or press A immediately. Your character will face forward and clasp his or her hands together in a wishing motion. Note that this will not work if you have any tools equipped when you press A/tap your character. After you have successfully wished upon the star, you will get a letter with a present (always a Tom Nook spotlight item) from Wishy the star the next day.
Get more money
Interest Method An incredibly easy way to get money, and to buy items at Nook's, Redd's and Able sisters again.
- Pros: With an initial investment of 10,000 Bells and a time shift of 10 years, you will receive 50,000 Bells in interest (so 60,000 Bells in the bank) (bank interest is %0.5)
- Cons: Will produce weeds, cockroaches in your house, kill flowers, and will also make villagers move away.
- Deposit 20,000 Bells or more into your savings account; the more Bells in the account, the more money you'll get.
- Save and turn off the power.
- Turn the DS on.
- Change the year by ten years; save settings and turn the DS off.
- Turn back on.
- After exiting the house you'll have mail from the town hall saying how much interest(money that the bank gives you for using their bank) you get.
- Save and turn off the power.
- Correct the date.
- When you go back on, everything will be as if it was the next day on the game, but you will have the effects of time traveling.
- If you have an Action Replay DS you can make all your weeds into money bags, so you will have even MORE money.
Item Duplication Method Requirements:
- Must have two game cards, and two DS systems.
- Make sure that you have more than 1 player living in your town.
- Pros: Easy way to duplicate your stuff.
- Cons: Requires two cards and DS systems.
You may want to make a new character for this.
- Make sure you have as many empty letters as items you want to duplicate, no more than 25. Note that you can only carry 10 letters at a time.
- Put what you want to duplicate into the letters.
- Save the letters at the town hall.
- Get your second DS card out, you will be moving into that town.
- Go to the town on the second card, go to the civic services desk and select "I want to move".
- Follow the instructions to move to the second DS card.
- Once you move, go to the town hall and view your saved letters. Take them out and put them in your pockets. You will only be able to take 10 letters with you, but you will be able to take 25 items, unless you attached a fridge/vanity/dresser.
- Move back to your original town, view your saved letters, and find the original items. You now have two copies of them.
Money Tree Method
- Pros: Can potentially turn 100 Bells into 90,000 Bells.
- Cons: The chances of that are %0.1 percent. The only way to guarantee 90,000 Bells is to bury 100,000 Bells, which will result in a net loss of 10,000 Bells.
Plant a Money Tree (you must use a golden shovel in order to bury cash into a money tree. This will not work with an regular shovel. To do that, bury a shovel and in the next day, dig up the shovel. It must stay for a full 24 hours).
- Pros: Can make at least 3,000 Bells a day.
- Cons: Can not make more than 18,000 Bells a day.
- Pull out your shovel.
- Go hunt for fossils.
- Once you find them, go get the identified by Blathers.
- When he ask to keep the fossils, say no, or if you would like to fill the museum, say yes.
- If you said yes and have no more fossils, then better luck tomorrow (maybe you'll find fossils already donated).
- Go to Tom Nook otherwise.
- Sell your fossils.
- Repeat (3 fossils spawned every day).
Money Rock Method
When the player is outside, they can use their shovel to hit rocks. Once a day, the player will find 8,000 Bells inside the rock. They can get the money out by repeatedly hitting the rock. This also works in other games, however it's easier in New Leaf because the player will not receive as much knockback as they would in the other games.
Moving In Method
After one day has passed since you got a resident's moving letter a new resident should move in (Unless there's someone in your Ninth In Slot)
- This method makes sure you don't end up with a resident you don't like
- Could make flowers wilt after multiple attempts
- It does not work 100% of the time
- If no one tries to move in after five or more tries then you might have to time travel or wait a day.
- Someone moves out and you receive their moving letter on August 2nd (8/2)
- Wait/time travel a day (August 3, 8/3)
- On August 3, Instead of loading up one of the pre-existing characters, make a new character
- Talk to Kapp'n, it doesn't really matter if you are a boy/girl or what you look like
- Exit the cab and walk into the Town Hall
- Talk to Pelly (Once again it doesn't really matter if you say, "I moved in!" or, "I came by cab!")
- When Pelly shows you the map...
- If there's a house that wasn't there, finish talking to Pelly and check who it is
- If there isn't any new house when she shows you the map, just turn off the power and try again. (Resetti won't come out because you were on a character that you haven't saved yet.)
- Locate the new house and check who it is
- If it's someone you like/don't mind/don't care/etc. then find your house, enter it, and immediately walk out. Nook should walk over to you asking about how it feels and the current mortgage on it. After you're done talking to him, save the game to make the new resident stay in your town.
- If it's someone you don't want just turn off the power and try again. (Once again, (Resetti won't come out because you were on a character that you haven't saved yet.)
- If the player falls into a pitfall while Isabelle is following them, she will become shocked and begin to worry.
- If the player digs a hole by a stump, sits on the stump, turns to the direction of the hole, and gets off of the stump, the player will appear as if the character stepped into a pitfall.
- If the players has a television and a fan turned on in the room, the fan noise may sometimes reset, even though the player has not interacted with the fan.
- The colors correspond incorrectly if players try to customize the lava lamp, a glitch that is exclusive to the lava lamp furniture. The following is a list of the requested colors against the actual color.
|Color requested||Color received|
Equipping certain clothing will play special sounds. If the player wears any Zap or Hero clothing, an electric guitar can be heard. If any Splatoon clothing is worn by the player, the Splatoon jingle will play. Wearing Tut's Mask will play a different jingle as well.
Game-Session Breaking Glitch
- Perform above Walking on Water glitch, but make sure there is a tree where the 3rd hole would be, and dig two holes around it that should touch the diagonal part of the river.
- Bury an item and squeeze between the tree and other hole. Dig up the item in a way that pushes you into the river barrier.
- Normally, you can still use inventory in the barrier and escape by filling the holes trapping you, as you will in this point of the glitch.
- While trapped in the barrier by the holes and trees, attempt to shake the tree.
- If done right, your character will now vibrate a lot and be completely trapped. You are unable to move in any way. Normal character animations stop.
- You can access any of your game menus from here, but clicking on any item on these menus will do nothing. For example, clicking on items in inventory will not give you an items name or appear selected (yellow circle). The only way to exit the glitch is to force the game to close, typically by ejecting the Game Card.
This is only happens if two or more villagers are drinking coffee on the player's campsite. If the player starts talking to the first villager, they're standing normal, however if the player talks to the second villager, they now do a weird-looking pose. This happens with other characters who are drinking coffee (except the one). If the game resets, the villagers who have the glitched pose will remain. However, if the player leaves and returns to the campsite, their poses are normal. It was fixed in 1.3.0.