User:TurtleCrossing/How I Order Villagers
Here's my personal list of how I would order the Animal Crossing villagers.
Step 1: Order alphabetically
Step 2: Order by species
I generally order species by a "theme". While I could've ordered them based on how biologically related a villager species is to another (such as horses and rhinos being next to each other), I felt it was best to go by much simpler themes. Anyway, here's the order:
- Domesticated Carnivorans: Dogs -> Cats
- Non-Domesticated Carnivorans: Bears -> Cubs -> Wolves -> Lions -> Tigers
- Glires: Mice -> Squirrels -> Hamsters -> Rabbits
- Domesticated Ungulates: Horses -> Cows/Bulls -> Pigs -> Sheep -> Goats
- Non-Domesticated Ungulates: Deer
- Pachyderms: Elephants -> Hippos -> Rhinos
- Other Mammals: Anteaters
- Marsupials: Kangaroos -> Koalas
- Primates: Monkeys -> Gorillas
- Avians: Birds -> Chickens -> Ducks -> Penguins -> Eagles -> Ostriches
- Classes with only one Species: Alligators -> Frogs -> Octopi
Why I ordered the species this way:
- Domesticated Carnivorans: These come first due to their very strong connection to humans. Dogs come first as they historically have a stronger bond with humans than Cats.
- Non-Domesticated Carnivorans: These come after the above group due to being the closest related group of species. Bears and Cubs come first as they are represented in media more commonly than the other three species. Wolves come before the big cats to follow the "dogs before cats" rule, while Lions come before Tigers for the same reason as the Bears.
- Glires: These come after the above group due to having a weaker connection to humans, but before the below groups as they are represented moreso than any of them. Rodents come first due to them being the largest of all Mammalian orders in terms of number of species. The rodents are ordered by how often they are represented in media.
- Domesticated Ungulates: These are after the Glires due to not being as prominently represented in media, but are before the other Mammalian groups due to having a stronger connection to humans. Horses come first due to having the strongest bond with humans. Bovine and Pigs come next due to being the main sources of red meat for humans (with Bovine coming first due to the addition of the Cow's milk). Sheep come next due to their wool historically being used for human clothing. Goats come last due to having the weakest connection to humans.
- Non-Domesticated Ungulates: These come after the above group for the same reason as the Non-Domesticated Carnivorans.
- Pachyderms: While Hippos and Rhinos are technically true Ungulates, I ordered them here as it was the simplest way to order them. These are ordered by how often they are represented in media, with Elephants coming first and Rhinos coming last.
- Other Mammals: These are the Mammalian species that don't fit into any of the above groups. This only includes placental mammals that are not Primates.
- Marsupials: These are ordered as the second-to-last Mammalian species as they are only ones who are not placental mammals. Kangaroos come first as they are more represented in media than Koalas, as well as being Australia's national animal.
- Primates: These are ordered as the last of the Mammalian species as they are the closest related species to humans. Monkeys come first as Gorillas are more closely related to humans than they are.
- Avians: These come after the mammals due to having more similarities to them than the other animal classes. Birds come first due to acting as a "default" avian species. Chickens come next due to being the main source of poultry to humans. The rest of the avian species are ordered by how often they are represented in media.
- Classes with only one Species: This is the last group in order as explained by the title. Alligators come first due to reptiles being closely related to birds, while Octopi come last due to being the only villager species not in the Chordata phylum.
Step 3: Order by the villager's game of debut.
The order goes:
- Doubutsu no Mori -> Doubutsu no Mori+/Population Growing -> Doubutsu no Mori e+ -> Wild World -> City Folk -> New Leaf -> Happy Home Designer -> Welcome amiibo -> New Horizons.
Step 4: Order by whether a villager was in Wild World or not
Follows the same axioms as Step 3, but it goes like this:
- Wild World Returnee -> Wild World Newcomer -> City Folk Returnee -> City Folk Newcomer -> New Leaf Returnee -> New Leaf Newcomer -> Happy Home Designer Returnee -> Happy Home Designer Newcomer -> Welcome amiibo Returnee -> Welcome amiibo Newcomer -> New Horizons Returnee -> New Horizons Newcomer -> Villagers that have yet to return after e+
Step 5: Order by the villager's gender
Females go before males.
Step 6: Order by the villager's (current) personality
The order goes: