From Nookipedia, the Animal Crossing wiki
Clear consensus for a move to Bear Cub
. We should hold off implementing this for another week to give our API developers due notice. Drago (talk)
13:04, January 11, 2021 (EST)
- The following discussion is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page.
Quick question. So I was talking to Stitches in NH today and he referred to himself as a "bear cub" in dialogue. It can also be noted that they are referred to as "bear cubs" in both the start of this article and in the official companion guide for New Horizons. Should we rename the article/species to Bear Cub/Bearcub or keep "Cub"? WolfpawOfficial (talk) 21:10, December 26, 2020 (EST)
- I would Support a move to bear cub since that's what's used in-game, making it official. Additionally, it's more descriptive, since "cub" could refer to the young of various animals, not just bears. ~ AlexBot2004 (Talk) 22:57, December 26, 2020 (EST)
- Support move to Bear Cub. If that's what the name is in-game, that's good enough evidence for me. Cubs look a lot like bears too. (BTW, do we need to give our API developers a week's notice if this article is moved?) Drago (talk) 10:53, December 27, 2020 (EST)
- Support the move, taking WolfpawOfficial's word that it's used in-game. Re:Notifying API developers, what do you think SuperHamster? Maybe we should have some sort of internal rule, or an edit-notice that we place on certain pages so that editors know what the protocol is regarding changes that could have wide-reaching effects for API users? (talk) 21:36, December 27, 2020 (EST)
- This is indeed another move we'll want to notify API developers of, thanks for mentioning it. I think we can define certain categories of pages that need to have developer sign-off before renaming (villager names, species, personalities), and we can add a notice to MediaWiki:Movepage-summary and Special:ReplaceText to inform movers of this. ~SuperHamster Talk 22:09, December 27, 2020 (EST)
- Support it's something I wanted to do a long time ago, but didn't because of aforementioned API reasons and then forgot about it. They're called bear cubs in the previous games too, so it's not just a New Horizons thing. -- Dorsal Axe (talk) 03:27, December 28, 2020 (EST)
- Just stating here for everyone (including myself, since I know I've found myself acting at odds with what I'm about to say): we should try to avoid having our API dictate editorial decisions (or lack thereof). The API should certainly be considered before implementing changes that might disrupt API users, so that we can inform them and make changes to the API to minimize disruption (e.g. have the API accept both "Cubs" and "Bear Cubs"), but it shouldn't be a driving factor for the decision itself. (also not calling you out or anything Dorsal, this was just an opportune time to bring this up). ~SuperHamster Talk 03:45, December 28, 2020 (EST)
Alright, sounds like we have enough support to start making preparations for the move. We possibly need to edit the species box to say Bear Cub or should we keep Cub? WolfpawOfficial (talk) 11:13, December 28, 2020 (EST)
Personally I think we should edit it to keep consistency instead of having Bear Cub vs. X. WolfpawOfficial (talk) 11:16, December 28, 2020 (EST)
- The discussion above is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page.