Merge all merchandise pages
Would it be better if all merchandise pages are merged into this page? ™ 15:34, October 10, 2014 (EDT)
- I think that as the Merchandise section expands one page will become insufficient very quickly. However, I do think we need to think a bit more about how we want to organize our Merchandise section. Right now it is organized according to item type. I think that this is a good start, but as it stands our pages do very little other than provide pictures of merchandise. In the future I would like to see suborganization by game (most merchandise is released to promote a specific title or work) and brand with some information on each item's release date and if possible, price.
- I would also like to bring up a very pressing question- what about amiibo and amiibo cards? The animal crossing e-cards are hidden away in the Merchandise section. Do amiibo belong there too?
- Lastly, SuperHamster, you condensed the styluses and cases into Merchandise/DS Accessories. I think that is fine for the time being, but we need to incorporate content from Merchandise/Cases, and we need to figure out how to organize the sections listed on Merchandise since Accessories no longer has subsections. Lastly, I question whether we should have 3DS merchandise listed on a DS Accessories page. I recognize the 3DS is a continuation of the DS line, but I think it's a bit confusing nonetheless. Thoughts? (talk) 19:43, July 5, 2016 (EDT)
- Great points all around. As I looked over the pages yesterday, I started brainstorming the best way to do all this too, but it's a tough question with multiple answers...do we want a sortable table format, similar to our furniture series? Or perhaps little info cards for each item, like what Bulbapedia has? I'll have to think on it some more, along with the solution to amiibos. ~SuperHamster Talk 00:46, July 6, 2016 (EDT)
I threw together a MerchandiseCell template, derived from Sky's StaffCell. Would using something like this be a good approach to cover all the item details we want? Feel free to make changes, it's more of a draft at this point :)
- Funny, didn't know was replied to two years ago. I'm not sure how well doing a card thingy works. I just want to see how merchandise is done with Animal Crossing. Oh, yes, amiibo definitely counts as merchandise, and we do have an amiibo page, right? They can be categorized under merchandise, but not sure what else we can do with them... ™ 19:50, December 22, 2016 (EST)
- Heh, one of the projects I'm hoping to do this winter break is figure out the gameplan for merchandise and then work towards completing the directory.
- So speaking of...I've tried to implement a solution at Merchandise/Plush Dolls using Template:MerchandiseCell. Each cell can carry the details of the game the merch is from, the manufacturer, the release country/year, and price. By default, these details are collapsed so the page isn't too busy - especially since I foresee a lot of the details missing anyway. Any thoughts on what I've implemented? It certainly doesn't have to be final, I just wanted to try this out as an experiment. I think another good option would be to have tables, so that merchandise can be easily sorted by game/year/manufacturer/etc...though I do like having more gallery-style view of merch.
- Regarding the organization of sections, I think it might be best to organize by series or line - for example, we can have separate sections for TOMY Wild World plushies, TOMY New Leaf plushies, Sanei New Leaf plushies, etc. ~SuperHamster Talk 20:37, December 22, 2016 (EST)
- I really like how Merchandise/Plush Dolls is shaping up. My only suggestion would be that when clicking on the toggle button only the merchandise within the associated section would be toggled, not all the merch on the page. It seems like you might have to merge some features of Template:MerchandiseRow and Template:MerchandiseCell for that kind of functionality though I can't be sure as I'm unfamiliar with div class="mw-customtoggle-1". My suggestion for dealing with series/lines of plushies is to create pages for the major manufacterers and list their products/lines on that page. I think it would also be nice to have a page like 'List of Animal Crossing: Wild World merchandise' which could be transcluded into a section on each game's main article page (e.g. Animal_Crossing:_Wild_World#Merchandise). Once we have all this, I would also suggest a 'List of Animal Crossing merchandise' page that includes all the merch in table format. That way I think we will have all our bases covered- want to look at a specific type of merch (e.g. plushies), got it. Want to see all the merch by a certain manufacturer? Check. Want to see the merch listed by game? Yup. And then, want to see all the merch? Very yes!!! (getting carried away, going to stop now...) (talk) 22:40, December 24, 2016 (EST)
While looking through the pages of merchandise, I realized that most of them are incredibly short with no possibility of adding anymore content. This is due to the fact that there are very few specific items of a certain type, for example, the Fans page only has two entries in the form of a gallery. I suggest we merge all the merchandise pages that have a low amount of entries onto this one main page. The pages that would be exempt from this would be the plushies, figurines, amiibo, game guides, and manga pages. Thoughts? Senor Mexicano (talk) 00:00, April 17, 2020 (EDT)
- I mentioned something similar on the Discord server as well - I thought it would be good idea to merge every "other merchandise" onto one page, except for obvious "big categories" - e-cards and amiibo cards. Also, there's "Games" subpage, that had one entry, and doesn't have the Monopoly game in it, which has it's own page for some reason... Looking at the Merchandise page, I feel like there should be those pages: Plush Dolls, Figurines, Games, Trinkets, Acessories, Game Guides, Manga, e-Cards, amiibo, Stationery (pens+notebooks, though not sure how abundant they are), (something like) Containers (that would have bags, tote bags etc.), Clothing and other fabric items, such as pillows? Bags+fabric items could be on one page too, I suppose.Paviinka (talk) 18:08, April 17, 2020 (EDT)