A regular expression (regex) is a sequence of characters defining a search pattern. On the wiki, they are commonly used for finding and replacing text through Special:ReplaceText (staff only), AutoWikiBrowser, Pywikibot, or Scribunto/Lua modules.
Each tool/programming language uses its own ruleset for regular expressions:
- Special:ReplaceText supports a small subset (
( ) . * + ? [ ]) of the PHP and MySQL/PostgreSQL regular-expression set.
- AutoWikiBrowser uses .NET regular expressions.
- Pywikibot uses Python regular expressions.
- Lua/Scribunto pattern are similar to regular expressions, but not identical. See this page for a list of differences.
There are several online tools to test our patterns. A small selection is listed below.
Below is a list of examples of regular expressions that may help you on the wiki. Feel free to expand this list.
- Matching a multi-line Foreignname template and adding a new "See also" section after it (Python):