- 1 Welcome!
- 2 Licensing images
- 3 Golden Leaf Award!
- 4 Trustee
- 5 Hey there
- 6 Staff?
- 7 Patroller!
- 8 Deleting redirects
- 9 Doubutsu no Mori+
- 10 Category deletions
- 11 AutoWikiBrowser
- 12 Villager infobox appearances
- 13 Villager birthdays
- 14 Notification of Leave
- 15 Reason for move HHD and PC info to Preferences
- 16 Nookipedia Tasks
- 17 Incomplete islander navbox
- 18 Nice to Meet You
- 19 Toolboxes
- 20 Villager Information
- 21 On NL models
- 22 Japanese Villager Picture Quotes
- 23 ん and ン vs. ぬ and ヌ
|Welcome to Nookipedia, LoneShadowStar!|
We're glad that you've chosen to create an account! You are now able to edit pages, join discussions, and expand the community-driven Animal Crossing encyclopedia. Before you jump in, here are some things to keep in mind when editing pages:
If you're looking for some place to start, why not check out the Community Fountain? Here you will find current events and things to do.
|If you have any questions, feel free to ask a wiki staff member, or at the Community Fountain talk page. We're always happy to help!||Have a great time! -- Nookipedia Staff|
Golden Leaf Award!
Hello, just a heads-up; you've been given the trustee status because of your helpful contributions. This permission does not affect you in any way, but makes patrolling easier for the Nookipedia staff. Thanks and keep up the good work! Drago (talk) 10:53, January 5, 2018 (EST)
Hi there! I saw the sprites you uploaded recently and was wondering a couple of things. Would you happen to be on Discord? It'd be easier to ask/answer through there. I've also found your Steam account, so maybe we can discuss them there. Senor Mexicano (talk) 19:16, February 28, 2018 (EST)
Hi LoneShadowStar - hope you're doing well! I just wondered if you had any interest in becoming part of the staff team? You've done terrific work with images and galleries! I'd be happy to nominate you if you're interested. Thanks, Drago (talk) 13:46, March 3, 2018 (EST)
You are now Nookipedia's latest patroller! Enjoy the new tools. If you have any questions, me or one of the other staff will be happy to help. :)
Hey LoneShadowStar - congrats on the promotion! Regarding moving files, make sure to update file names on pages before deleting the redirect; otherwise, we'll have a bunch of dead file links on the wiki. For example, after moving File:Pierce.png to a new location, you should use Special:WhatLinksHere to see what pages are still using the file. For instance, Piece.png is still being used on three pages. Thank you! ~SuperHamster Talk 21:57, March 15, 2018 (EDT)
Doubutsu no Mori+
Hi there - hope you're doing well! I understand your concern with Doubutsu no Mori+ being similar to Population Growing, but there are differences between these two games and I'd rather not see such a big change being made without consensus. Besides, sunmarsh probably had a reason to create the separate page for DnM+ back in 2015. Therefore, I have restored Doubutsu no Mori+ for the time being. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about this. Drago (talk) 12:49, March 27, 2018 (EDT)
Hi! Great job with images, and the new project - it's great.
Two things to note re. category deletions:
- I think a lot of these deletions should be discussed first (e.g. I don't think Category:Animal Crossing Pocket Camp character icons should be deleted). If you have many categories you want to delete, you could start a discussion at the Community Fountain.
- Categories should be empty before being deleted, to prevent redlinks, not being as easily able to find deleted categories that have content in them, etc.
Our image categories do need a lot of work, so it might be a better idea to come up with an image categorization system to replace the current categories you're deleting. I'd be interested in working on this as well.
- Looking at it more, the impression I'm getting is: with proper naming within a category, all images related to, say, a certain villager would be grouped together, meaning there isn't a need for more specific categories (like a separate PC character icons category) - correct? ~SuperHamster Talk 18:37, May 10, 2018 (EDT)
@SuperHamster Yes, that was one of the things I was intending for when renaming/categorizing images. If you notice the way I've named each one, they all start with the same basic name, making organization more compressed and easy to follow. For example, all images of Bob start with his name, followed by a short tag to further clarify what the image is, such as game. Because each of the "Bob Images" all start with Bob, one could simply go to whatever license the image pertains to, such as character art, and simply find Bob's name in the category, with all images related to him in that category being neatly grouped together. Because of this, the "Villager Images" category may no longer be necessary. --LoneShadowStar (talk) 18:42, May 10, 2018 (EDT)
- Gotcha! That's really awesome, thanks for doing that.
- I'm thinking of whether or not more specific categories would still be useful...having images grouped like you described is great, but I would think having specific image types (like the PC character icons) would also still be useful to have. Though I suppose that need is fulfilled through the page galleries (which you've also been doing an awesome job with)? ~SuperHamster Talk 18:48, May 10, 2018 (EDT)
@SuperHamster Well, yeah, the galleries also fulfill that issue, but I see what you’re saying. Having other categories could be useful, such as the PC Icons as mentioned, as well as the ”Icon Sprites” category I made for all Icon -based sprites in general. It’s all personal preference, really. Another reason for me wishing to replace the "Villager Images" category was due to a lack of clarity, as it only says "Villager Images", yet it only contained artwork for the villagers instead of all images related to villagers. --LoneShadowStar (talk) 13:05, May 13, 2018 (EDT)
- Yea, I think what you're doing to replace the Villager Images category is great - I'm just wondering about whether or not we want to keep the more specific categories (e.g. PC icons) as well 🤔. Might be something for the community to discuss. ~SuperHamster Talk 23:25, May 13, 2018 (EDT)
- Again, it's all preference if you want to use those extra categories or not. I'm not sure myself, so I'll leave it up to you. EDIT: After thinking it over, I believe that it would be useful to have those other categories for things such as the character icons.--LoneShadowStar (talk) 10:15, May 14, 2018 (EDT)
Hey Austin - I wanted to make sure you're aware of Nookipedia:AutoWikiBrowser. It's a tool you can download that lets you make semi-automated edits; it makes things like replacing text, adding categories, and simple things like that easy and quick. I know you make a lot of meta-edits related to images, so if you think this could be useful for you, let me know and I'll add you to the list of approved editors (it's a powerful tool, so it's restricted). ~SuperHamster Talk 22:16, June 1, 2018 (EDT)
- Great! I've added you to the approved list of users. You can now download AWB and set it up following the instructions on our AWB page. The user manual is available on Wikipedia. For any mass drastic changes, remember to discuss it with other editors first. If you have any questions, I'm happy to help! ~SuperHamster Talk 15:13, June 2, 2018 (EDT)
Villager infobox appearances
Hey Austin! Hope you're doing well. As usual, great job with your updates to villager articles over the last few weeks.
Regarding Template:Infobox Villager, I saw you changed the
appearances parameter to
latest appearances. For big changes to high-visibility templates that affect hundreds of pages (like infoboxes), I recommend opening a discussion and seeing what other editors think before diving in. It lets others provide input to help find the best solution, and can also make the process easier for you in the long-run in case any changes are proposed later on.
On that note, I'm guessing you removed the appearances to get rid of lengthy information in the infobox, right? That might be something we and other editors might want to discuss some more. What if we did a middle ground? We've added Extension:PageInCat that lets us do things based on the categories; I used it to quickly slapped together this template (see screenshot on right), which auto-generates abbreviated appearances based on the category the villager's article is in. It saves space and we wouldn't have to edit the appearances section of the infobox anymore, as long as categories are kept up to date. Thoughts? ~SuperHamster Talk 04:10, June 27, 2018 (EDT)
Hey Shadow! I just wanted to quickly ask where you're obtaining the information for the birthdays of villagers who haven't appeared past Doubutsu no Mori e+, such as Twirp and Marcy, as I have only ever found their starsigns. I don't doubt that you're providing correct information, I just want to know where I can find such information. Thanks! ZCJigglypuff(Talk)
- Hmm...all those birthdays were added by a single editor who also did some other odd edits, like adding unconfirmed dog breed species to pages. We'll probably want to remove the birthdays until we can confirm where these birthdays are coming from. ~SuperHamster Talk 15:23, September 2, 2018 (EDT)
Notification of Leave
After working on this wiki for nearly a year, I am here to anounce that I will be on hiatus for the next few months, as I feel like I need to focus on other things besides Animal Crossing. My last work prior to my hiatus will be finishing my part on Project Villager. But after that, I will not return until months from now. I'm proud to have worked so hard on this wiki and upload many images, but I feel that I need some kind of break for the time being. --LoneShadowStar (talk) 16:02, August 12, 2018 (EDT)
- A much deserved break! You've done a staggering amount of valuable work. Have a great break - you'll be missed. And remember, we're always hanging out in the Discord if you ever want to pop in and hang out, wiki break or not. Cheers, ~SuperHamster Talk 17:42, August 12, 2018 (EDT)
- Thanks, Ham. I really feel I deserve it after all this time. And It's not goodbye, mind you - It's like a see you later. I'm also going to finish up on project villager before I leave, as mentioned, and then I'm off.
Reason for move HHD and PC info to Preferences
Hello! I wonder why you're moving Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer and Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp information from Other appearances to Preferences section? These games are spin-offs. In addition, PC don't have any houses, and because House section is under Preferences. vmario97 (talk) 03:21, August 30, 2018 (EDT)
- @vmario That's because that, despite the fact they aren't houses, they are still PREFERENCES of that villager. In other words, they describe what THEY LIKE, not what their house is like. Also, last I checked, "House" and "Preferences" were separate sections. - unsigned comment from LoneShadowStar (talk • contribs) 14:11, August 30, 2018 (EDT)
Hey Austin - you may have already seen this, but I wanted to let you know about Nookipedia Tasks and invite you to join. This tool lets us all create and track tasks, which is useful for letting others know what you're working on, and for others to easily find tasks to work on as well. If you do go on your break soon, this could be particularly useful if you want to add any unfinished tasks you can think of for the future. If you do join, just let me know here and let me know which boards you'd like to be added to. Cheers, ~SuperHamster Talk 18:26, September 2, 2018 (EDT)
- Awesome! I've added you to the Wiki General, Project Villager, and Project Images projects. For the House Template, instead of creating a new project, what you want to do is create a new story on the Project Villagers board, since the template would fall under this wiki project and others interested in Project Villager will now be aware of it. ~SuperHamster Talk 22:34, September 3, 2018 (EDT)
I reverted your islander navbox variation to previous, because it's incomplete (missing villagers from Doubutsu no Mori e+ and all islanders and male ones are with female background). Please use your sandbox before posting. vmario97 (talk) 05:40, September 17, 2018 (EDT)
Nice to Meet You
Hey nice to meet you. I'm Results May Vary from Mario Wiki. I took notice of your userpapge, and i can relate to you. I also have high functioning autism and OCD--which drives me to focus and do a task without rest until i am satisfied. Sometimes i have to push myself to have lunch, for instance, haha. Take care Results May Vary (talk) 15:23, September 25, 2018 (EDT)
- Thanks for the image naming standards, really helps to clear things up for me. I'm busy cleaning up some file redirects if you wanted to have a look at that Results May Vary (talk) 13:46, November 29, 2018 (EST)
Hi, I found you had redirected and deleted my toolbox image while I still in the process of linking it to the Campground items for acnl (I actually thought I had goofed and forgot to upload it until the wiki told me off when I tried to re-upload it). I used the one you redirected to but it's a different item in a different game so I've re-uploaded the image I had and tagged it with acnl so it was obvious it wasn't the unused GCN sprite. I hope that's okay. I'm still getting the hang of finding my way around this site. Kazz (talk) 14:41, November 29, 2018 (EST)
Hello LSS! I just wanted to quickly ask about where you found the information on the personalities of some DnMe+ villagers. I have noticed that you have changed what personalities some villagers had in those games compared to what we had previously known, such as Curlos being cranky rather than lazy. I'm not trying to say its false information, I just want to clarify your sources for this, as our prior knowledge on this subject was information that had been unchanged for several years, and I find it peculiar that every notable AC resource supposedly had this info wrong for over 15 years. Thanks, and merry Christmas! ZCJigglypuff(Talk) 00:12, December 20, 2018 (EST)
Of course, hence why I put the "I may need further research" disclaimer at the end of the discussion pages. I just noticed that the DnMe+ e-Cards for the villagers are ordered specifically by personality (For instance, Walker, who is lazy, is first, followed by Maggie, who is normal; Rod, who is a jock; Merry, who is peppy; Angus, who is cranky; and Willow, who is snooty.) I checked the order for the other cards as well, and all of them checked out as I thought, so I assumed the islanders followed the same pattern as well, and after checking, they did. (I.E. Raddle, who's lazy, was the first card in one order, while Julia, who is snooty, was the last card in another order.) I hope this clarifies things.
UPDATE: Having now analyzed the e-Reader cards' data directly, I can now verify all of my assumptions, even the ones about Harry and Violet.
On NL models
Good day. I see that you too are working on extracting models from ACNL, from your Jingle NL Model. I know that you are much more experienced than me when it comes to modeling and spriting, and thus, I come to ask you questions.
- What viewer do you use when viewing your BCRES files? Do you recommend any? Currently using SPICA and ohana3DS-Rebirth (since, on my machine, one has problems the other manages to resolve, although neither seems to be optimal).
- Do you know any way to "superimpose" two models, for example, a villager's head and his torso? I managed to combine, say, /Ftr/Common_mdl/Catalog_Carpet.bcres with a corresponding /Item/Model/carpet_*.bcres, although I can't seem to combine a head and a torso well. Do you know some tutorials I can look up to?
- Do you have a reference of all (or at least a number of) models found in the romfs, for example, a list saying /Fish/sea_kegani.bcres is the Horsehair Crab? I am currently compiling such a list, although it would be nice if someone else has already created one, since the game is at least several years old.
@Decomposer Oh, I didn't rip those models, those were ripped by Centrixie of The Model's Resource. I just used the thumbnail that shows the rendered model on that site. If you want information on models, see him. I know absolutely nothing on model ripping. I DID rip the e+ sprites, though, so I can answer some questions on that. --LoneShadowStar (talk) 09:06, January 8, 2019 (EST)
Japanese Villager Picture Quotes
Hey, I noticed that you have been adding a lot of the Japanese picture quotes and their translations to villagers' pages. I was just wondering whether you are getting the translations from somewhere. Many of them are fine but a lot of them misinterpret or miss important words, giving a completely different meaning. Most of them are famous proverbs, so it isn't difficult for me to make sure that I understand the meaning correctly, and so I think I could edit them. Anyways, thanks for adding the quotes, and I hope you don't mind if I change some of the incorrect translations when I get around to it. Ok (talk) 21:11, February 15, 2019 (EST)
--Yeah, that's fine. I know literally nothing about Japanese, so I was just using Google Translate for many of them, which more often than not came out as nonsense that I myself interpreted. The actual sayings I got from here You're more than welcome to change them if you wish. --LoneShadowStar (talk) 13:25, February 16, 2019 (EST)
ん and ン vs. ぬ and ヌ
Sorry to comment about it here, I didn't know where would be appropriate. Please do not add a "u" to the Japanese transliteration of words or names that include ん or ン. These characters are romanized as "n" and represent the only consonant that can occur without a following vowel in Japanese (unless you count the first of doubled consonants.) The kana that represent "nu" are ぬ and ヌ. See Wikipedia:N (kana).—Ok (talk) 14:36, March 17, 2019 (EDT)