- "Yes! I caught the famed dynastid beetle! It's incredibly strong! (For its size)" —Animal Crossing
- "I caught a dynastid beetle! Talk about powerful!" —Wild World
- "Yessss! I caught a dynastid beetle! Strong, tough, and AWESOME!" —City Folk
- "I caught a horned dynastid! Your era just ended, buddy!" —New Leaf
|Scientific name||Allomyrina dichotomus politus|
|Family||Scarabaeidae - scarab beetles|
|Time of year||July to August|
|Time of day||5pm to 8am|
|Rarity||Common (Dōbutsu no Mori, Dōbutsu no Mori +, Animal Crossing, Dōbutsu no Mori e+, New Leaf - On Island)|
Uncommon (Wild World, City Folk, New Leaf - In Town)
Rare (Pocket Camp)
|Selling price||1,350 Bells|
The Horned Dynastid, known as the Dynastid Beetle (カブトムシ, Kabutomushi) before Animal Crossing: New Leaf, is an uncommon insect found in Doubutsu no Mori, Animal Crossing: Wild World, Animal Crossing: City Folk, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf. It appears between the months of July and August, between 7 pm and 8 am. They are familiar to a Hercules Beetle because of their shape.
After the player has caught a Horned Dynastid for the first time, they can find information about it in the bug tab of their encyclopedia.
| ''Their proud horn is actually just overgrown skin. They're related to scarab beetles."|
| ''The proud horns of these relatives of the scarab beetle are just overgrown skin."|
In Pocket Camp
Donating to the Museum
In Animal Crossing
"They're called beetles, wot? The lugs of the insect world. Insects with armor plating on their backs, you know. Their armor, it...opens up, revealing wings, which they use to fly. It's really quite unnatural. Then, there's that thin membrane-like covering where their heads connect to their bodies. Most foul!"
In Wild World
- "Do tell, player, have you ever seen a dynastid beetle's larva? Oh, no trouble at all if you haven't, I assure you! If you had, we might speak of them, and then I would recall how vile they look. Let's forget it, shall we?" —Blathers
The Dynastid Beetle can be found on the first tree in the second insect room.
In City Folk
- "The dynastid beetle has a reputation as king of the forest, but this king is not without enemies, eh wot? Many species hunt this beetle. Examples include moles, crows, and owls... WOT WOT?!" —Blathers
The Dynastid Beetle can be found in the top terrace of the insect exhibit, on the middle Oak Tree.
In New Leaf
Upon donation to the museum, the Horned Dynastid can be found on a tree in the back of the upper right room of the Insect section. The exhibit has this to say about the Horned Dynastid:
- "Horned dynastids are part of the scarab family. Their horns are actually part of their exoskeleton. Horned dynastids don't have a nose or ears, but they can sense smells with their antennae. They are also able to feel the minor vibration of sounds traveling in the air using thin hair on their bodies. They are fairly loud when flying, plus they emit a rather sour odor, so they are not hard to notice."
In New Horizons
When donating to the museum, Blathers will say the following:
"The horned dynastid’s head is shaped like a samurai warrior’s helmet, hootie-hoo! It would be a most impressive fact if their large size wasn’t so horrifying! Adult males use their huge horned heads for fighting and digging, while the females have no such need. As for their larvae and pupae, they too are quite large and feed on rotting wood at a tremendous pace. A foul feast, indeed!"
The dynastid beetle is a subspecies of the Japanese rhinoceros beetle, and is part of the scarab family. Its larvae are very large, around 5 cm long. Horn-like structures are present in both sexes during the pupal stage, though only adult males will have horns. Dynastid beetles, along with other rhinoceros beetles, are popular as pets in Asia, and in some places are considered a delicacy, especially fried. Dynastid beetles don't mind being handled, and fly slowly and quietly. Rhinoceros beetles have their place in Japanese popular culture, making appearances in anime, tokusatsu, advertisements, and even films. The dynastid beetles featured in Animal Crossing are in their adult stage.
Names in other languages