- "Schrödinger had one cool cat."
- — Flick, Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Artwork of Flick from Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
Name in other languages
Flick is a chameleon in the Animal Crossing series who debuted in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. He is the son of Nat, and replaces him as the host of the Bug-Off, a bug-catching event held every three weeks during the summer. He also appears as a regular visitor to the island. Unlike Nat, who views bugs as food, Flick views them as his artistic muse, displaying an obsession with their perceived beauty on both a physical and metaphysical level. This has led to disagreements between the two about the treatment of insects.
Flick and C.J. appear to work together, with C.J. referring to him as his partner, mentioning that they live together, and implying he commissions him to create the fish models for the player.
In New Horizons
In Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Flick appears on random weekdays after the Resident Services have been upgraded to a building. Flick offers to buy bugs from the player at a price 1.5x higher than Nook's Cranny price. He leaves at 5 AM the following day. Once per visit, the player can commission him to make a model of a bug, which requires giving Flick three specimen of the same bug. He will mail the model the following day.
Unlike C.J., whose fish models are mostly uniform in size barring a few particularly lengthy fish (e.g. the Arapaima and Oarfish), Flick will build exceptionally large models for the Queen Alexandra's Birdwing, Banded Dragonfly, Goliath Beetle, Horned Hercules, Atlas Moth, and Giraffe Stag, each given the "Grand" prefix in their item names. Additionally, Flick will provide special dialogue when asked to craft models of these bugs, giving flowery and praise-filled descriptions of them before vowing to make a masterpiece out of their models.
Flick can also visit The Roost if his amiibo card is scanned at the amiibo phone; he brings C.J. as a guest and vice versa. If the player scans his amiibo card in Happy Home Paradise, he will also bring along C.J. to his vacation home.
In Pocket Camp
Flick was added to Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp in November 2020. He hosts the Flick's Segmented Soulmates event, where he tasks the player with catching bugs to receive bug-themed prizes, such as the Butterfly-Exhibit Fountain.
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
In Happy Home Paradise
In Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Happy Home Paradise, Flick will share a house with C.J.
In New Horizons
Upon interacting with Flick, he will say something relating to bugs before apologizing for thinking out loud. This dialogue will change every time the player interacts with him.
- "Am I truly listening to the needs of the <bug> with every ear I possess?"
- "If a <bug> were to manifest before me, how would I react? Laughter? Weeping?"
- "If you find yourself where there are no bugs...you have to visualize and manifest them yourself!
Close your eyes. Reach with your mind. Feel the bugs. Feel them crawling all over your skin. Dissolve."
- "It doesn't matter how much I treasure the bugs. They'll never notice what I do for them..."
- "It is sheer hubris to think that we could ever learn everything about bugs.
Bugs are an experience. They are a conversation...one between the viewer and the universe."
- "Larva, pupa, adulthood, final transcendence... They become more exalted with every metamorphosis!"
- "They reflect this sullied world, yet retain their own beauty... I am bewitched by those compound eyes."
- "My world was once gray and dull. Then they brought their riotous jointed rainbows of wonder!"
- "When the universe contemplates beauty, it imagines the silhouette of the <bug>."
- "Will this world meet its reckoning, beheld only by the lonely eyes of the <bug>?"
- "I divide myself into the three sacred segments. I am the head, thorax and abdomen of the universe."
During a Bug-Off, Flick's dialogue has a greater amount of new-age style spirituality:
- "Hey, how was it? Did you make progress on your personal journey towards True Infestation?"
- "What - really?! You don't need them as spiritual guides? I mean - let me just add it up for you."
- "Alright, get ready to transcend...'
- "Once you save up 10 points, you can redeem them for bug-blessed relics I've obtained. Good luck!"
- "The epic tale of my pilgrimage to obtain these relics should be written on a scroll or something!"
- "How did you enjoy this Bug-Off, our regular celebration of bugs? Were you spiritually enriched?"
Names in other languages