From Nookipedia, the Animal Crossing wiki
"I've been selling turnips here on Sunday morns for 'bout 60 years now. Maybe even more! Come to think of it, I forget just how long... No matter!"
— Joan, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
SpecialSpeciesIconSilhouette.png Joan boa
Artwork of Joan
Species Gender
Boar Female
Birthday January 8th Capricorn
Favorite saying "A rotten turnip is still a turnip."
Role Selling turnips
Main appearances

Other appearances
Name in other languages

Joan, also known as Sow Joan, is a boar in the Animal Crossing series who visits the player's town each Sunday morning to sell turnips. The name "Sow Joan" is a reference to the real-life stock market index, the Dow Jones Industrial Average. She often mentions how she has been selling turnips for around sixty years.

In Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Joan's role of selling turnips is instead fulfilled by her young granddaughter, Daisy Mae.



Artwork of Joan from Doubutsu no Mori.

Joan is a brown boar who wears a blue dress with a white hood, and work pants with pound-sign patterns. She has a yellow nose, black hair, large orange cheeks, a pair of white tusks and a basket with turnips on her back. Her hands and feet are also yellow. Her eyes have beige circle linings, white rims, and black pupils shaped like diamond stars.


Joan likes selling turnips, sharing this trait with her granddaughter, Daisy Mae.


Joan is one of two characters in Animal Crossing who has a unique voice from all other characters. The other character who shares this trait is Farley.


In Animal Crossing[edit]

Artwork of Joan from Animal Crossing

In Doubutsu no Mori and Animal Crossing, Joan appears in town every Sunday before noon, selling turnips to the player. Unlimited white turnips can be bought each week from Joan, which can be sold to Tom Nook, which will have different prices depending on the "Stalk Market." These turnips are only profitable between Monday and Saturday.

If the player travels on the train, Joan can be seen sleeping in the background, occasionally waking up in surprise, before going back to sleep.

In Wild World and City Folk[edit]

Joan selling turnips in Animal Crossing: Wild World

In Animal Crossing: Wild World, she continues to sell turnips, though she now also sells red turnip seeds for 1,000 Bells which can be planted in the ground and must be watered each day so they can grow to their full potential and later sold to Tom Nook for profit. Only one red turnip can be sold to the player each week. Her appearance in Animal Crossing: City Folk is functionally identical to Animal Crossing: Wild World.

In New Leaf[edit]

Joan selling turnips in Animal Crossing: New Leaf

In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Joan no longer sells red turnips. However, she will let the player buy more than 990 turnips, unlike Wild World and City Folk. Joan can be asked to explain her business and turnips. She wishes not to explain how it works, but will not complain if prompted.

In New Horizons[edit]

A quote for a three-star island from Daisy Mae in Animal Crossing: New Horizons that mentions Joan

Joan is sometimes indirectly mentioned by her granddaughter, Daisy Mae, who refers to her as "Gram-Gram." Additionally, Joan's poster can be obtained from Nook Shopping after inviting her to Photopia via her amiibo. Since the 2.0 Update, Joan can visit The Roost. She will bring Daisy Mae along if invited to The Roost. She can also be scanned into Photopia via her amiibo card.

In Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Happy Home Paradise, she can be found in the hospital every Monday. If talked to, she will give the player turnips for free. Joan will have a 50% chance of giving the player 30 turnips, 30% chance of giving the player 50 turnips, and 20% chance of giving the player 100 turnips.

In amiibo Festival[edit]

Joan visiting town on a Sunday to sell turnips in Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival

In the Board Game mode in Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival, Joan visits town each Sunday to sell turnips to the players. She also appears as a standard visitor; if a player lands on a special-event space while she is visiting, she either gives the player 10 to 30 turnips or makes them pay 1,000 Bells to "help make things right" after her turnip field was vandalized.

Other appearances[edit]

In Super Smash Bros. Brawl[edit]

Joan appears as a trophy and a sticker in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.




Description Investments in town are made by buying and selling turnips. Joan's an elderly boar who comes to town every Sunday morning to trade in these valuable vegetables. She's easily recognizable by her bandana, work pants, and the basket she carries on her back. Her down-to-earth speech endears her to all her customers. She's been in the turnip business for 60 years.
Acquisition Random



Effect Fighters
[Battering] Resistance +12 All fighters

In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U[edit]

Joan appears as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.




Description NTSC-U: Joan has been in the business of selling turnips for about 60 years now, and she'll happily explain the basics when you talk to her. Taking the risk is entirely up to you, though. If you take the plunge, you'll want to check the prices often. It doesn't hurt to ask your friends about their prices too.

PAL: Joan has been in the business of selling turnips for about 60 years now, and she'll happily explain the basics when you talk to her. It's entirely up to you if you want to take the risk, though. If you do decide to, you'll want to check prices often. And it doesn't hurt to ask your friends about their prices too.
Acquisition Random

In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate[edit]

Joan appears as a spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.



Category Class Slot cost
Support Spirit Advanced (★★) 1 (⬢)
Ability Stats ↑ after Eating
  • Battle via World of Light (The Light Realm)
  • Battle via Spirit Board
  • Purchase from the Vault Shop for 1000G
  • Battle information
    Enemy fighters
  • Blue Peach
  • Chartreuse Villager
  • Type Attack
    Power 3,800
    Stage Town and City
    Rules N/A
    Conditions The enemy favors down specials
    Music Town Hall and Tom Nook's Store - Animal Crossing: Wild World

    Villager information[edit]

    In New Leaf[edit]

    A rotten turnip is still a turnip.


    Birthday Gender Species
    January 8 Capricorn Female Boar
    Pic version added Welcome amiibo update
    Coffee preferences
    Joan does not order coffee at The Roost.

    In Happy Home Designer[edit]

    A rotten turnip is still a turnip.

    Joan's Happy Home Designer icon

    Example of Joan's Happy Home Designer house
    Official example
    Birthday Gender Species
    January 8 Capricorn Female Boar
    Umbrella Paper Parasol HHD Icon.png Paper parasol
    House request
    Client's vision I'll leave it up to you!
    Favorite song  K.K. Lament
    Unlocked items
  •  Turnip
  •  K.K. Lament
  •  Joan's pic
  • Clothing:
  •  Pinafore
  •  Paper parasol
  • Starting house: Default exterior of Joan's house in Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer

    RV in Welcome amiibo[edit]

    Exterior of Joan's RV in Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    Interior of Joan's RV in Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    Description: You can only spend so much time growing and selling turnips (99.9% of your time, it turns out). In her spare 0.1%, Joan loves a good camping trip.
    Wall:  Shoji Screen
    Floor:  Tatami
    Music: K.K. Folk NL Texture.png K.K. Folk

    Joan's "Order furniture" list in Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo

    In New Horizons[edit]

    A rotten turnip is still a turnip.


    Birthday Gender Species
    January 8 Capricorn Female Boar
    Initial NookPhone  Default Phone Case (Green) NH Model.png  Green
    Final NookPhone  Phone Case (Traditional 1 - Fabric 16) NH Model.png  Traditional 1 - Fabric 16
    Happy Home Paradise traits
    Umbrella Paper Parasol NH Icon.png Paper parasol
    Hobby Education
    Book Education Book NH Icon.png Novel

    In Happy Home Paradise[edit]

    In Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Happy Home Paradise, Joan will share a house with Daisy Mae.

    Client's vision Vacation-Home Concept
    Shares house with Daisy Mae
    Unlocked items

    Card profiles[edit]

    Animal Crossing e-Reader card[edit]

    Animal Crossing-e 2-065 (Joan).jpg

    Card back

    Animal Crossing-e 2-065 (Joan - Back).jpg

    #065 Joan - Series 2
    Gender: Female
    Sign: Capricorn
    Profile: As sure as the sun shines, you can count on Joan showing up every Sunday to peddle her turnips. While savvy investors can make a mint playing the turnip market, casual buyers may end up with a rotten-turnip ant farm.
    Password: nupmZbPN8DPSIo

    amiibo card[edit]

    007 Joan amiibo card NA.png

    Card back

    Amiibo Card Back.png

    #007 Joan - Series 1
    Star sign: Capricorn
    Birthday: January 8
    Dice value: 2
    Hand sign: Scissors



    Names in other languages[edit]

    Japanese カブリバ
    From カブ売り婆, kabu uri bā (old woman selling turnips) and 株売り場, kabu uriba (stock counter)

    Korean 무파라
    From 무 팔아 (to sell turnips)

    Simplified Chinese 朱萝卜 (iQue)
    Zhū luóbo

    Simplified Chinese 曹谷
    Cáo Gǔ
    Homophony with 炒股 chǎogǔ (stock trading)

    Russian Джоан
    Same as English name

    Dutch Joan Same as English name

    German Sigrid -

    European Spanish Juana Same as English name

    European French Porcella From Porc (Pork)

    Italian Nella From ravanello, "turnip"


    1. Re-Tail sell price; if item can be sold at Timmy and Tommy's store, it is 80% of the sell price; if item can be sold to Leila at Tortimer Island, it is 5% of the sell price.