- "I caught an orchid mantis! It hunts in flowers!" —Wild World
- "I caught an orchid mantis! I kid you not, man!" —City Folk
- "I caught an orchid mantis! My eyes see all!" —New Leaf
The Orchid Mantis (ハナカマキリ, Hana kamakiri) is a rare insect that can be found only on white flowers. When disturbed, it flies away into the air with a buzzing noise. It is slightly similar to the Mantis in appearance, and is found exclusively in dry weather. When approached, the Orchid Mantis will raise its head in defense, making it easier to spot. It sells for 2,400 Bells, a high price for a bug.
In New Horizons
Donating to the museum
In Wild World
Blathers speaks about the Orchid Mantis's camouflage:
- "Ah, the orchid mantis fools other insects by looking like a flower, eh wot? Bugs approach for nectar... CHOMP! The mantis attacks! It shan't fool me, though! Just look at it! Can't you see the antennae twitching? Blech! Duplicitous wretch!"
It can be found on the white flower above the entrance to the bug exhibit.
In City Folk
Blathers, the curator of the museum, talks of his own experiences with an Orchid Mantis:
- "The orchid mantis has the awful habit of disguising itself as a flower in order to avoid its enemies. ...I say 'awful' because of how revolting it is to touch a flower and feel the belly of a mantis! Oh, it was so soft and vile! Blech! The memories! I try to suppress them, but they always come flooding back!"
The Orchid Mantis is found on the central white pansy, amongst the butterflies, on the lower tier of the insect room.
In New Leaf
Upon being donated, the Orchid Mantis can be found in the first room of the bug exhibit resting on white flowers placed right next to the entrance.
- "Orchid mantises look like orchids and use them as camouflage for protection from predators. While this camouflage keeps them safe, it also helps them to surprise any prey that comes to the flowers. They are usually carnivorous, but they still eat the occasional banana to balance their vitamin intake."
In New Horizons
- "The orchid mantis is a bug whose brilliant colors and petal-shaped limbs give it the look of a flower. This masterful mimicry allows it to hide from predators in among the orchids. But oh this fraudulent flower! It lures other insects in to drink its nectar...And makes a meal of them instead! Imagine! To behold a beautiful bud...only to discover it's a bug instead! A repulsive revelation indeed!"
| ''These pretty critters look like orchids, so it's difficult for predators to spot them."|
| ''These critters look like orchids, so it's hard for predators to locate them."|
Found in the rainforests of South-East Asian islands such as Malaysia and Indonesia, the orchid mantis (Hymenopus coronatus) is found primarily on orchids, a flower on which this species of mantis has evolved to replicate. Being primarily carnivorous, they eat most things that happen to pass by, their victims ignorant that they are even present, due to their camouflage. Prey includes lizards, bees, and butterflies. Orchid mantises have also been observed nibbling on bananas, likely to add vitamins to their diet.
As with other species of mantis, orchid mantises go into a frenzy when touched or lifted.
Names in other languages