List of references in the Animal Crossing series
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following is a list of references to other media or popular culture in the Animal Crossing series.
- When talking to Gulliver, he can say he might have "lost his Goldfish in Toad Town or Hyrule," which are references to locations from Paper Mario and The Legend of Zelda series, respectively.
- When giving the player an item, Gulliver may say he "found it while sailing the Karagol Sea," which is a reference to the location from the Golden Sun series.
- Kapp'n can sing a song about how he thinks Mario acts. Kapp'n also references The Legend of Zelda in between some sea shanty verses, saying, "Ever spend a night in a Hyrulian Prison?"
- The catch quote for the Loach is "I caught a loach! You don't suppose it's Hylian, do you?". This is a reference to the Hylian Loach, a fish in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
- There is a collection of 10 Super Mario Bros.-themed furniture items, as well as the Mushroom Mural and Block Flooring, which also are themed after Super Mario Bros.
- The Big Bro's Shirt, Li'l Bro's Shirt, Toad Print reference Mario, Luigi, and Toad, respectively
- The Autumn Medal and Spring Medal items contain a medal with Mario's face on it.
- The Mario Trophy and Luigi Trophy items are statues of Mario and Luigi respectively.
- The Anju's Shirt and Kaffe's Shirt items are references to the outfits worn by Anju and Kafei, characters in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
- Tortimer tells a story that he defeated the "great sea snakes" at Pinnacle Rock, a reference to The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
- If the player interacts with a storage unit in a villager's house, a random message will appear. One of them is "You found 100 Rupees! But you can't use them here," a reference to The Legend of Zelda series.
- The Master Sword from The Legend of Zelda series appears as an item.
- An Arwing from Star Fox series appears as an item.
- The N Logo and G Logo items reference the logos of the Nintendo 64 and Nintendo GameCube, respectively.
- The letter received from Bob after his e-Reader card is scanned says that he had a dream where the player was "running around on a tropical island with a water pump on [their] back," referencing Super Mario Sunshine.
- Various e-Reader designs feature references to other Nintendo franchises, including Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Pokémon, Kirby, Pikmin, F-Zero, and Star Fox.
Animal Crossing: Wild World
- After talking to Gulliver after repairing his U.F.O., he asks the player if they have ever seen "A space fox or a bounty hunter who can roll into a ball". These are clear references to Fox of the Star Fox series and Samus Aran of the Metroid series.
- Goldie's favorite saying on her picture references Nintendogs, saying "I'm really into that Lab on the cover of Nintendogs. He's pretty dreamy."
- On the player's third reset, Mr. Resetti states his favorite movie is "A Few Good Moles," a reference to A Few Good Men, a 1992 American legal drama film.
Animal Crossing: City Folk
- Through the Nook's Point-Tracking Machine, Nintendo-related items are available for purchase as a reward for spending large amounts of Bells at Tom Nook's.
- A Red Pikmin Hat and a Dolphin Model, which originate from the Pikmin series, are distributed items.
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- After agreeing to help Gulliver, he'll mention that he's "never met a skipper so kind since Bobbery of Rogueport". This is a reference to Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.
- One of the locations Gulliver mentions having washed up on is Isle Delfino. This is a reference to Super Mario Sunshine.
- Gulliver may also mention The Overthere; a place in Super Paper Mario.
- The Welcome amiibo update adds several villagers and items based on other video game franchises, including The Legend of Zelda, Splatoon, Monster Hunter, and Puzzle League. It also adds villagers and items based on franchises owned by Japanese company Sanrio.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- If the player refuses to find the communicator parts for Gulliver, he says, "Oof. I haven't received a cold shoulder this icy since my brush with the Snomad fleet...". This references the Snowmads from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.
- The three possible catch quotes for the Squid reference other Nintendo franchises. "I caught a squid! Do they...not actually "bloop"?", which is a reference to Bloopers from the Mario (franchise). The other two are references to the Splatoon series, with "I caught a squid! I had an inkling I might!" making a pun on Inklings and "I caught a squid! It's off the hook!" referencing the pop idol duo Off the Hook.
- The Tulip Surprise Box opens when interacted with, revealing a doll referencing Princess Peach, Princess Daisy doll, or Rosalina depending on its variant.
- One of the quotes Isabelle restates during the island evaluation is "It's a place I've been quietly watching. It's a secret to everybody. I don't want it to be famous." The "It's a secret to everybody" part is a reference to an identical quote commonly used in the The Legend of Zelda series.
- When the player talks to a peppy villager, they may mention a game they have been waiting for to come out called Super Gyroid Brothers, a reference to Super Mario Bros..
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
- Louie's client vision is "A 30th-anniversary party!", a reference to the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.
Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp
- The Super Mushroom, 1-Up Mushroom, and Mega Mushroom from the Mario franchise appear as crafting materials.
- A Poké Ball from the Pokémon franchise appears as a crafting material.
|This article is a stub. You can help Nookipedia by .|