- "What do I weigh? Let's say...around 200 apples or so!"
- — Wisp imitating Rilla, Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo
|Favorite saying||"When there's a will, there's a way."|
|Clothing||Hello Kitty Tee[nb 1]|
Phrase in other languages
Rilla is a peppy gorilla villager in the Animal Crossing series. She first appeared in Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo and has appeared in all subsequent games. She is one of the Sanrio crossover villagers and is based on the cat character Hello Kitty, sharing the same birthday as her. Her catchphrase, "hello," is a reference to Hello Kitty's namesake. When Rilla's amiibo card is scanned in Welcome amiibo after interacting with Wisp's Magic Lamp, it is mentioned that Rilla estimates her own weight to be around 200 apples. This is a reference to Hello Kitty's official biography, which states that she is 5 apples tall and as heavy as 3 apples. Rilla's name is likely derived from gorilla.
In New Horizons, Rilla has the nature hobby and may be found reading a book pertaining to an item she is studying, which can be either flowers, bugs, fish, or fossils. She is the only gorilla villager who does not have the fitness hobby.
Rilla is a gorilla with white fur and pink skin. She has blonde hair on her head. She wears a red bow identical to Hello Kitty's iconic bow, and she also wears small blue earrings. She has bright blue eyes with sparkles in them, and she has dark turquoise eyelashes. She has Hello Kitty on her shirt, the Sanrio character her design is based on.
In Welcome amiibo, she appears to be wearing red shoes. However, in Pocket Camp, her feet are the same color as her main fur color. She starts to wear shoes again in New Horizons.
Below is a brief description of the peppy personality. For more information, click here.
Rilla is a peppy villager, which means she will appear over-excited to see the player and most other villagers. Like all peppy villagers, she will appear childish and immature, usually asking the player for items they want. She will enjoy the usual hobbies and will tell the player that when she is bug catching, she is looking for a particular bug that may look nice in her home. She will get along well with other villagers, particularly the lazy, normal, big sister, smug and other peppy villagers, but she may annoy and upset cranky and snooty villagers who are known to appear older than other villagers. Due to the honest nature of peppy villagers, she may mention how "old" or "boring" they are due to her opposing, upbeat personality. She will easily get upset in conversation when it is not going her way, but will forget ever having the conversation due to her short attention span.
In Welcome amiibo
Rilla is an older twin sister, which is a reference to Hello Kitty having a twin sister named Mimmy. Rilla's skill of "baking" is a reference to Hello Kitty's hobby of baking cookies. Her goal of "Kitty White," Hello Kitty's real name, means that Rilla aspires to be like Hello Kitty.
In New Horizons
While initially absent from Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Rilla was added in an update on March 18, 2021, and she can only move to the player's island if her amiibo card is scanned. Additionally, in all versions of the game, the Hello Kitty Poster can be obtained from Nook Shopping after inviting Rilla to Photopia via her amiibo card.
In Happy Home Paradise
In Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Happy Home Paradise, Rilla's apple-related required items and unlock items for her house request are likely a reference to Hello Kitty's fondness for apple pie. The cookie-related unlock items are likely a reference to Hello Kitty's hobby of baking cookies.
In Welcome amiibo
In New Horizons
In Pocket Camp
Rilla was added to Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp on July 11, 2019 as part of Sanrio Characters Collection #1 and was available until September 2, 2019. She became available again in the Sanrio Characters Collection 2021 beginning March 26, 2021 and lasting until May 10, 2021.
Welcome amiibo card
Names in other languages
- Called Hello Kitty Outfit prior to New Horizons
- Lì lā
- Lì lā
- The villager's headwear during the Countdown can either be the New Year's Silk Hat or the New Year's Hat, each rotating every year. Their variation will vary depending on what variations Tom Nook will sell at his stand.
- If it is Rilla's birthday, her headwear will be replaced with the Birthday Hat (Blue variation).
- Only in the Happy Home Paradise DLC
- Does not contain a stereo initially
- Repeats for level 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, and 60
- Sanrio. "Hello Kitty | Sanrio Timeline". sanrio.com. Archived from the original on November 24, 2018. Retrieved December 4, 2021.
- Sanrio. "Sanrio | Sanrio Hello Kitty". sanrio.co.jp. Archived from the original on June 24, 2011. Retrieved January 19, 2022.
- Nintendo (February 25, 2021). "Get Ready for a Sanrio Crossover! – Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Nintendo Switch". YouTube. Retrieved February 25, 2021.
- Nintendo (August 9, 2019). "（2019.8.9更新）『どうぶつの森 ポケットキャンプ』で、サンリオキャラクターズコレクション 第3弾を実施中！". topics.nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved December 28, 2021.
- Nintendo (March 23, 2021). "『どうぶつの森 ポケットキャンプ』で、「サンリオキャラクターズコレクション2021」を3月26日より開催します。". topics.nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved March 23, 2021.
Pocket Camp hip-themed villagers