- "Yo! What are you up to? Wanna try <activity> with me for a while?"
- — Wisp imitating Toby, Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo
|Favorite saying||"Toby or not Toby? I don't know, I'm asking you."|
|Clothing||Kerokerokeroppi tank top[nb 1]|
|Umbrella||Ghost umbrella[nb 2]|
Gelato umbrella[nb 3]
Phrase in other languages
Toby is a smug rabbit villager in the Animal Crossing series. He first appeared in Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo and has appeared in all subsequent games. He is one of the Sanrio crossover villagers and is based on the frog character Keroppi, sharing the same birthday as him. Toby's catchphrase, "ribbit," is the onomatopoeia for a frog's croak, since Keroppi is a frog. Toby's Japanese catchphrase, kerokero (けろけろ), is the Japanese onomatopoeia for a frog's croak and is also derived from Keroppi's namesake. Toby's favorite saying is a wordplay on "to be, or not to be," a famous quote from the Shakespearean play, Hamlet.
Toby is a yellow rabbit with pale blue on the insides of his ears. His eyes are large and simple, with small black pupils. He has a blue oval-shaped nose and a mouth which is curved into a smile by default. He has dark green hair styled almost like a bowl cut, which runs straight across his forehead, is parted away from his left eye and partially obscures his right eye. He has pale orange cheek blush, as well as the same pale orange coloration on his hands, feet, and tail. His design is based on the Sanrio character Keroppi, and his hair is decorated with the white doll, Teruteru, that Keroppi is often seen carrying around. He initially wears the Kerokerokeroppi tank top, which has vertical red and white stripes, and a black bowtie.
Below is a brief description of the smug personality. For more information, click here.
Toby is a smug villager, meaning he is well-mannered, polite, and friendly. He is quite flirtatious and has a fair number of unseen hobbies that include collecting plastic bottle caps and constantly talking about trains. He enjoys complimenting other villagers, including the player, and he is generous and quite easy to befriend. He is fairly easy to disappoint when the player refuses to trade in items and if the player fails to complete a favor from him.
In Welcome amiibo
Toby is the youngest of five kids, unlike Keroppi, who is part of a family with four kids and is not the youngest sibling. Toby's skill of "swimming" is a reference to Keroppi's talent for swimming. His goal of "weatherperson" is a reference to either Keroppi's friend, Teruteru, who is able to accurately predict the weather, or Keroppi's other friend, Noberu, who aspires to be a weather forecaster like his father.
In New Horizons
While initially absent from Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Toby was added in an update on March 18, 2021, and he can only move to the player's island if his amiibo card is scanned. Additionally, in all versions of the game, the Kerokerokeroppi poster can be obtained from Nook Shopping after inviting Toby to Photopia via his amiibo card.
In Happy Home Paradise
In Welcome amiibo
In New Horizons
In Pocket Camp
Toby was added to Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp on August 9, 2019 as part of Sanrio Characters Collection #3 and was available until September 2, 2019. He became available again in the Sanrio Characters Collection 2021 beginning March 26, 2021 and lasting until May 10, 2021.
Welcome amiibo card
Names in other languages
- Called "Kerokerokeroppi top" prior to New Horizons
- Welcome amiibo
- New Horizons
- Dōng bǐ
- Dōng bǐ
- Toby's headwear during the Countdown can either be the New Year's silk hat or the New Year's hat, each rotating every year. The hat's variation will vary depending on what variations Tom Nook is selling at his stand.
- If it is Toby's birthday, his headwear will be replaced with the birthday hat (Blue variation).
- Does not contain a stereo initially
- Repeats for levels 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, and 65
- Sanrio. "keroppi | Sanrio Timeline". sanrio.com. Archived from the original on June 26, 2019. Retrieved January 19, 2022.
- Sanrio. "Sanrio.co.jp | けろけろけろっぴ |". sanrio.co.jp. Archived from the original on October 27, 2005. Retrieved January 19, 2022.
- Nintendo (February 25, 2021). "Get Ready for a Sanrio Crossover! – Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Nintendo Switch". YouTube. Retrieved February 25, 2021.
- Nintendo (August 9, 2019). "（2019.8.9更新）『どうぶつの森 ポケットキャンプ』で、サンリオキャラクターズコレクション 第3弾を実施中！". topics.nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved December 28, 2021.
- Nintendo (March 23, 2021). "『どうぶつの森 ポケットキャンプ』で、「サンリオキャラクターズコレクション2021」を3月26日より開催します。". topics.nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved March 23, 2021.
Pocket Camp harmonious-themed villagers