- "Guess what! I'm taking flying lessons! And I don't even need wings–I can just use my ears!"
- — Wisp imitating Chai, Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo
|Favorite saying||"He who chases two rabbits catches none."|
|Clothing||Cinnamoroll puffy blouse[nb 1]|
|Umbrella||Melon umbrella[nb 2]|
Raindrop umbrella[nb 3]
Phrase in other languages
Chai is a peppy elephant villager in the Animal Crossing series. She first appeared in Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo and has appeared in all subsequent games. She is one of the Sanrio crossover villagers and is based on the dog character Cinnamoroll, sharing the same birthday as him. Chai's catchphrase, "flap flap," refers to how Cinnamoroll can use his ears to fly. Chai's name is likely a reference to chai tea, since Chai has a pink teacup on her head, chai is a notable drink served at cafés, and Cinnamoroll's place of residence is at a café. She is the only Sanrio villager whose English name is different from her Japanese name.
In New Horizons, Chai has the play hobby and can run around with her arms extended at any time, rather than only outside Resident Services during a scripted activity with a group of villagers.
Chai is a blue elephant with a pink teacup on her head and yellow tips on her trunk, feet, and hands, as well as a white belly, hair, and eyelids. Her eyes feature cross-eyed blue pupils, which become smaller when she's shocked. She has Cinnamoroll on her shirt, the Sanrio character her design is based on. Chai and Tia are both elephant villagers based on teaware.
Below is a brief description of the peppy personality. For more information, click here.
Chai is a peppy villager, which means she will appear over-excited to see the player and most other villagers. Like all peppy villagers, she will appear childish and immature, usually asking the player for items they want. She will enjoy the usual hobbies and will tell the player that when she is bug catching, she is looking for a particular bug that may look nice in her home. She will get along well with other villagers, particularly the lazy, normal, big sister, smug and other peppy villagers, but she may annoy and upset cranky and snooty villagers who are known to appear older than other villagers. Due to the honest nature of peppy villagers, she may mention how "old" or "boring" they are due to her opposing, upbeat personality. She will easily get upset in conversation when it is not going her way, but will forget ever having the conversation due to her short attention span.
In Welcome amiibo
Chai's skill of "napping" refers to Cinnamoroll's habit of sleeping on the laps of the customers at Cafe Cinnamon. Her goal of "café owner" refers to how Cinnamoroll was adopted by the owner of Cafe Cinnamon and became the café's popular mascot.
In New Horizons
While initially absent from Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Chai was added in an update on March 18, 2021, and she can only move to the player's island if her amiibo card is scanned. Additionally, in all versions of the game, the Cinnamoroll poster can be obtained from Nook Shopping after inviting Chai to Photopia via her amiibo card.
In Happy Home Paradise
In Welcome amiibo
In New Horizons
In Pocket Camp
Chai was added to Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp on July 11, 2019 as part of Sanrio Characters Collection #1 and was available until September 2, 2019. She became available again in the Sanrio Characters Collection 2021 beginning March 26, 2021 and lasting until May 10, 2021.
Welcome amiibo card
Names in other languages
- Called "Cinnamoroll outfit" prior to New Horizons
- Welcome amiibo
- New Horizons
- Fēi kǎ
- Fēi kǎ
- Chai's headwear during the Countdown can either be the New Year's silk hat or the New Year's hat, each rotating every year. The hat's variation will vary depending on what variations Tom Nook is selling at his stand.
- If it is Chai's birthday, her headwear will be replaced with the birthday hat (Blue variation).
- Re-Tail sell price; if item can be sold at Timmy and Tommy's store, it is 80% of the sell price; if item can be sold to Leila at Tortimer Island, it is 5% of the sell price.
- Repeats for levels 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, and 75
- Sanrio. "Cinnamoroll | Sanrio Timeline". sanrio.com. Archived from the original on August 15, 2020. Retrieved January 19, 2022.
- Nintendo (February 25, 2021). "Get Ready for a Sanrio Crossover! – Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Nintendo Switch". YouTube. Retrieved February 25, 2021.
- Nintendo (August 9, 2019). "（2019.8.9更新）『どうぶつの森 ポケットキャンプ』で、サンリオキャラクターズコレクション 第3弾を実施中！". topics.nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved December 28, 2021.
- Nintendo (March 23, 2021). "『どうぶつの森 ポケットキャンプ』で、「サンリオキャラクターズコレクション2021」を3月26日より開催します。". topics.nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved March 23, 2021.
Pocket Camp cute-themed villagers