- "She's very gentle, kind, and calm. If you talk to her, it will feel like you've always been friends!"
- — Isabelle, talking about a normal villager, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Margie, a normal villager who appears in most of the Animal Crossing series games, as well as in the film.
|Villagers count by game|
|Villagers count by type|
Normal, also known as sweet, is a female villager personality type in the Animal Crossing series. Normal villagers are portrayed as sweet and friendly, and they often have an interest in reading or cooking.
Normal villagers, despite being called "normal," are known for their sweet demure and naivete. Some common interests they have are reading or cooking, and often discuss what they read with the player. In this respect, they are the female counterpart to lazy villagers. Normal villagers, due to their "normal" nature, often see themselves as the only "sane" people in the town, as all other personalities are exaggerated stereotypes of real-life personalities.
In Animal Crossing and Doubutsu no Mori e+, the normal islanders Caroline, Faith, and June, plus Marina, Norma, and Patricia in e+, act down-to-earth in their speech, stating various "blessings" of the island and its surrounding landscape. They are also much more airheaded and childish, dreaming of living in fairy tales or remarking at how "magical" a piece of furniture is. They are very rarely (if at all) angry and tend to take insults and disappointment easily, but will apologize even though they may not have done anything wrong.
In Animal Crossing, normal villagers go to sleep at 9:00 PM and wake up at 5:00 AM. In Animal Crossing: Wild World and Animal Crossing: City Folk, they go to sleep at 1:00 AM and wake up at 5:00 AM. In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, they go to sleep at 12:00 AM and wake up at 6:00 AM. In Animal Crossing: New Horizons, they usually go to sleep at 12:00 AM and wake up at 6:00 AM. According to normal villagers, they wake up so early because they believe sleeping in is unhealthy.
Due to their all-around kindness, they get along with most villagers, even the ones with cranky and snooty personalities, although they may still be angered by them if the wrong things are said. For instance, a lazy villager may imply to a normal villager that they want them to cook food for them, offending the normal villager. Peppy villagers tend to get along best with normal villagers, as both are female and tend to share many of the same interests.
In Animal Crossing: New Horizons, they find it easier to relate to snooty villagers now that the snooty villagers are less self-centered and more gentle, polite, and refined. Conversations between them often tend to center around their common interests, such as reading books or doing things the "old-fashioned" way.
Below are some (not all) quotes made by normal villagers.
- "Hey <villager>, do you think we're too normal?"
"I don't know, why don't you ask <player>?"
"Ok, <player>, do you think that we're too normal?"
"Yeah, <villager> I think we are too normal."
"Oh well. Maybe if everyone's crazy around town, we'll be the normal ones, and that will make us the special ones!"
- "I hear you're a bit of a(n) <rumor>, <player>. You're the topic of lots of conversations around town, <catchphrase>."
- Discounting species that exclusively contain male villagers, no gorilla or tiger villagers have ever had the normal personality.
- No normal villagers have the "walk around" hobby as their starting hobby in Wild World, sharing this trait with snooty villagers.
- None of them also have the fitness hobby in New Horizons.
Names in other languages
- Beginning in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, one villager who had the normal personality in previous games had their personality changed (Faith). If this villager is counted, there are a total of 76 normal villagers across the series.
- Lieb (Nice) in the first edition of the book.
- Dulce (Sweet) in the first edition of the book.
- Nintendo Power. Animal Crossing: Wild World - The Official Nintendo Player's Guide.
- FuturePress. Animal Crossing: New Horizons Official Companion Guide.
- FuturePress. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Das offizielle Begleitbuch
- FuturePress. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - La guía oficial
- FuturePress. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Guide compagnon officiel
- FuturePress. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - La guida ufficiale