- "He's very energetic and active. I'd consider him a mood maker here in <town name>!"
- — Isabelle, talking about a Jock villager, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Jock[nb 1] villagers are male villagers in the Animal Crossing series. The name comes from the American stereotype, usually seen as high school or college jocks. A jock is a male athlete, in the light of the media, considered unintelligent and dull-witted, which is reflected in the Animal Crossing personality type by their key interests in physical fitness and sports, including wrestling and typical gym exercises such as leg-squats and push-ups. These interests are unseen in the game, unlike the other hobbies. Jocks are often immature and naive and are considered the male equivalent to peppy villagers. There are currently 80 jock villagers so far, making the Jock personality the one with the most villagers. One of them (Rowan) had other personalities until Animal Crossing: Wild World, while three others (Ed, Harry, and Leopold) had their personality changed in Animal Crossing: City Folk (for Harry) or Animal Crossing: New Leaf. In Animal Crossing: New Horizons, a jock villager will always be one of the two starting villagers on a player's island, alongside a sisterly villager.
Jocks are often depicted as energetic and obsessed with sports, talking frequently about their love of sports and sporting progress. In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, they speak with loud, shouting voices, and often use slang such as "bro" (as in "You're so cool, bro!"), "hit me up", or "yo". Stereotypically, they are also unintelligent, calling the brain "the Brian" and failing to grasp the concept of the game 'rock, paper, scissors'. In addition, jocks are also slightly overbearing in their interests, often obsessively asking the player if they are training "like a madman". When jocks get sad, they say something like "I'm just sweating through my eyes!". They do not worry so much about fashion.
However, unlike actual jocks, the jock villagers are also brother-like when befriended, giving pep talks to the player and appearing competitive toward them and other villagers when they partake in town events. They usually go to sleep at 12:00 AM and wake up at 6:30 AM. In New Leaf, they wake up at 7:00 AM.
- See also: Jock conversations
Jock villagers find it difficult to get along with most villagers, as their overbearing personalities tend to fend off most villagers. For instance, lazy villagers have an opposite lifestyle centered around relaxing and eating, leaving the jock villager confused and unable to talk if a conversation between them ever occurs. In addition, snooty villagers will be outright offended by jocks when they question the fitness of snooty villagers, which directly insults the snooty lifestyle of upclass fashion and eloquence. Cranky villagers will also be annoyed by the hyper nature of jock villagers.
Despite this, jock villagers can still get along well with peppy villagers, as both have energetic, hyper personalities, as well as normal villagers, who are open to all personalities. Jock villagers will also admire the tough, resilient nature of sisterly villagers, and will be amused by smug villagers, who have a sense of humor understandable by jocks.
Below are some (not all) quotes made by jock villagers.
- "Tadaaaa! Check out these spiffy basic duds, bro! But what does "basic" really mean? I'm starting to wonder if I have any fashion sense..."
- "It's go time for me today! I’m always at full speed, no matter what the weather is like!"
- "Hey, <player>! Check me out! …No, I’m not talking about my clothes! I wanted you to appreciate my rippling muscles! I think of clothes as the icing on the scrumptious cake that is my jaw-dropping physique! Haha!"
- "<player>! Big favor for you! The other day I set a world record for the 100-meter dash. But no one was there to see it! So if you could go ahead and spread the news, that would be great! Thanks, bud! <catchphrase>!"
- "Man, I need a jogging buddy! I need someone who can take off for a run at the drop of a hat! Someone I can just be myself with! Like <male villager> and <male villager>! That's exactly what I need! Ha ha! I can’t imagine the two of them jogging together, though!"
- With only 1 species, Jock is the personality with the least amount of species that have never received said personality, that being the Kangaroo.