- "He's rather calm and very gentle. I'd consider him an oasis for your heart here in <town>!"
- — Isabelle, talking about a Lazy villager, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Lazy villagers are characters in the Animal Crossing series who have a relaxed, laid-back lifestyle which, in Animal Crossing, goes with their friendly nature and love of food. They are the male equivalent to the female normal villagers.
Lazy villagers have a relaxed and laid-back approach to living in the town unlike the normal meaning, not being bothered by homework or chores and doing laid-back things. They appear somewhat goofy or naive, in the way they speak and talk about hobbies, particularly fashion. Often, they will have dreamed up an "alter ego" of Fashion Lad. In Animal Crossing: Wild World, they may mention reading an unseen magazine, called "Chillin' Magazine", which also reflects on their chilled, relaxed lifestyle. They often mention theories relating to certain aspects of the town, which they will mention in conversation to the player or other villagers. For example, some lazy villagers will wonder aloud who has to sit inside the Tom Nook Point System to make it talk. Often, they will mention their beliefs that Tom Nook's store has a basement filled with Tom Nook stuffed animals. They often express a fascination with Tom Nook's fluffy tail.
Lazy villagers are often the easiest to befriend. To do this, the player can simply send the chosen villager mail containing gifts and repeatedly talk to them. Often, the player can receive their picture. Benefits are as follows:
- The villager will not move for a long time
- The player will receive mail and gifts
- The villager is constantly nice to the player
- If the player is female, they will likely receive chocolate from them on Valentine's Day
- In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, they will host the player's birthday.
Lazy villagers usually go to sleep at 10:00 PM, and awaken at 8:00 AM in Animal Crossing, but in Animal Crossing: Wild World and Animal Crossing: City Folk usually go to sleep at 1:30 AM and awaken at 8:00 AM. In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, they usually go to sleep at 11:00 PM and awaken at 9:00 AM. They find it easy to get along and talk to other villagers, including the player. They get along well with other lazy villagers and peppy villagers. Jock villagers will find it difficult to get along with them due to their conflicting lifestyles of relaxing compared to the jock lifestyle of exercising and fitness. Snooty villagers also find it hard to get along with them due to there laid-back style and lack of obsession of their physical appearance. Cranky villagers will get along with lazy villagers too, as they too enjoy the slow-paced lifestyle and outlook on life. Normal villagers may conflict with them sometimes, but will not get annoyed, upset, or confused, because the arguments usually revolve around the lazy villager subtly suggesting they make food for them. They sometimes get cranky when talking to normal villagers or jock/sporty villagers.
Below are some (not all) quotes made by lazy villagers.
- I heard this real scary story... Do you want to hear it?
Putting (food) in (other food)... Produces the flavor of (another food).
Ewwwww! It's so creepy and unnatural!"
- "Do you have a favorite place? You know, a place where you can take a midday nap when you're tired? Huh? Oh me? Well, when you're out, sometimes I like to snooze on your floor!"
- "I feel so grown-up sitting here in the cafe. If I stay here long enough, I'll probably have to start shaving, <catchphrase>!"
- Made sometimes by Lazy villagers while drinking at the roost
Jacob (Jakey in PAL regions)