In Animal Crossing series, Hobbies are past-times that the villagers in the player's town may take up to occupy their time. Hobbies include walking, fossil collecting, bug catching, fishing, fashion, gardening, and home improvement. Hobbies affect villagers in many ways - their conversations vary, the content of their homes change, and what they wear or carry may differ as well.
Villagers often talk of their hobby depending on their personality, explaining why they chose it and what they would like to achieve. In City Folk, lazy villagers may ask players to guess what their current hobby is.
List of Hobbies
- Bug Catching - Much like fishing, villagers collect insects for display in their homes. In Wild World, residents have competitions with the Player to find a certain insect as fast as they can, or to catch the rarest bug. In City Folk, villagers simply ask for a specific insect, often in exchange for a reward. Villagers with this hobby carry nets. If the player catches a bug, he or she can either donate it to the museum, release it, or place it in his or her house.
- Fashion - Animals ask for new clothes in exchange for gifts. Sometimes, requests may be very specific. Clothing can be rejected if the villager deems them too unattractive. Lazy villagers might say that they are becoming a super hero, named Super Spiffy (name here) and that they may ask players for style tips later on, since they will be his sidekick. They also say that they will stop wearing only the clothes their mom sends them. When players give a villager new clothes, the clothes they are wearing are displayed in their house.
- Fishing - Villagers with this hobby collect fish to put in their house. In Animal Crossing: Wild World, villagers often treat their hobby as more of a competition to see who can catch a fish the fastest. They can ask for a specific fish, the rarest fish, or even the biggest fish, and will always take the fish in exchange for a present if they lose. In Animal Crossing: City Folk, animals ask for a certain fish that they would like, often for a reward. Animals that enjoy fishing carry fishing rods around town. If players catch a fish, they can show it off, donate it to the Museum, release it (near water), or place it in their house. Villagers with this hobby carry fishing rods.
- Fossil Collecting - Villagers who enjoy collecting fossils will sometimes ask for a fossil, specific or any. These will usually be placed inside the villager's homes. They will sometimes comment on the fossil exhibit at the Museum or how much they enjoy Blathers lecturing on about fossils. If there is a fossil in the ground a star like mark will be seen near where the player needs to dig in order to find it. When the player finds a fossil, they can get in checked by Blathers, donate it to the museum, put it in their house or sell it to Tom Nook for a small fortune. Villagers with this hobby can be seen carrying shovels.
- Furniture - Animals may ask for a color, kind of furniture (old-school, chic, TV-tastic etc.) or specific furniture set. With colors, there are items that they may reject if there is not enough of the color on the piece of furniture. Be careful though because sometimes they will take the furniture anyway, even if it isn't what they first asked for.
- Gardening - Villagers who enjoy planting flowers have this hobby. Flowers appear around the villager's house in great amounts, but are not tended to or organized. These animals carry watering cans and often comment on how other villagers have been running through their gardens. If talked to, they may ask the player to deliver a letter or present for them.
- Eating - Lazy villagers will sometimes ask for a specific fruit and may give a prize afterwards. They also talk about their favorite foods and ask the player about what foods they like. Cranky villagers might say, "I've been recently making foods that animals can really sink their teeth into. (three random foods), and pretty much anything else you can think of. 'But no fancy drinks, there's only water at the chef's table. You can't enjoy my delicious flavors with a mouth full of ginger ale!"
- Walking - An automatic second hobby of all villagers. Villagers talk of their favorite routes, what they notice on their walk, and how refreshing they find it. They can sometimes ask players if they want to walk with them, or they may ask the player to complete a delivery. Normal villagers will usually say that there are little flowers blooming where there none yesterday, and that delights them. Cranky villagers will usually say, "You may think I'm a tired old man for saying this, but I like walking slow. Everyone these days have caught up with speed walking, but who needs speed? Wander around on a day like this and see what you discover." Peppy villagers might say, "Walking time, walking time. Time to get all fit and stuff. I just ate, like, 50 pounds of (some dessert) and feel kinda bloated", or they might say, "I'm gonna have (some dessert) tonight, so I'm gonna walk it off now. The more I walk now, the better it will taste later!" They could even say, "Since I'm becoming a healthier person now, I want to walk all the way to the city instead of taking the bus, but I don't think ANYONE could do that, not even, like, a marathon runner!"