- "Development permit" redirects here. For the permit in New Horizons, see Island Designer Construction Permit.
The approval rating is a feature in Animal Crossing: New Leaf that shows how much the residents of the player's town approve of the mayor. A 100% approval rating is required to receive the development permit, which allows the mayor to build public works projects and enact ordinances. To increase the approval rating, the mayor must complete various tasks Isabelle tells the mayor the approval rating and ways to improve it when the mayor sits at their desk at Town Hall.
The approval rating is not mentioned after the development permit is received, and it has no further effect on the town or mayor.
Tasks that affect the approval rating
The following tasks increase the mayor's approval rating:
- Upgrading the mayor's tent to a house – 20% (one-time)
- Changing the town tune – 3% (one-time)
- Changing the town flag – 3% (one-time)
- Donating an item to the museum – 3% each
- Completing a villager's favor – 3% each
- Watering flowers – 3% per day
- Posting a message on the bulletin board – 3% per day
- Putting an item for sale at Re-Tail – 3% per day
- Selling trash at Re-Tail – 1% each
- Pulling weeds – 1% each
- Catching a Flea off of a villager – 1% each