Donating to the town fund results in the creation of a new bridge, a fountain, and or lighthouse or windmill. Donations are not cumulative, so any Bells donated in excess are lost and are not put toward the next structure.
When the player donates 200,000 Bells to the town fund, a bulletin board message announcing the building of a new bridge is posted the next day. If the player selects the "Town fund!" option at town hall, they can vote between three preset locations for the bridge to be built at. All players in town can vote, and the location with the most votes after seven days is where the bridge is built.
Tortimer walks near the bridge on the day it is built. When spoken to, he says:
- "Good news, <Player>! Our new bridge is finally finished! And today's the opening ceremony! However, since we spent all our funds on the bridge, we have none left over for a proper celebration. So, we'll just have to use our imaginations and pretend there are balloons and streamers and such. But giddy laughter is free, so please—drink deep from that well! Like so. Heh heh heh HORF HORF!"
When the player donates an additional 400,000 Bells, Pelly or Phyllis will tell them the next day that a fountain is being built if they select the "Town fund!" option at town hall. After seven days, the fountain is built in front of the bus stop.
Tortimer walks near the fountain on the day it is built. When spoken to, he says:
- "You DO know you can't drink the water in the fountain, don't you, sprout?"
- "Throw a coin in the fountain, <Player>! We could use the revenue! Heh heh horf!"'
- "<Town> sure has seen a lot of improvements since I first became mayor. Never let it be said that Tortimer ignores the little guy!"
Lighthouse or windmill
When the player donates an additional 1,000,000 Bells to the town fund, a bulletin board message announcing the building of either a lighthouse or windmill is posted the next day. If the player selects the "Town fund!" option at town hall, they can vote to build either the lighthouse or windmill. All players in town can vote, and the structure with the most votes after seven days is built near the shoreline.
Tortimer walks near the lighthouse or windmill on the day it is built. When spoken to, he says:
- "That lighthouse doesn't just light the coast for ships. It also lights up the hearts of the people of <Town>. Or something like that." (lighthouse)
- "Let's hope it revitalizes our dear <Town>!" (lighthouse)
If the player donates another 1,000,000 Bells, they can switch to the structure that was not built, and it replaces it after seven days.