- "I caught a squid! Oh no I squidn't!" —Wild World
- "I caught a squid! Oh yes I Squid!" —City Folk
- "I caught a squid! Yes, I did!" —New Leaf
|Scientific name||Loligo vulgaris|
|Family||Loliginidae - Squid|
|Time of year|| December to Mid-August (town) |
All year (Tortimer Island)
|Time of day||All day|
|Size||14 inches (36 cm)|
|Selling price||400 Bells|
|Appearances|| Doubutsu no Mori e+,|
Animal Crossing: Wild World,
Animal Crossing: City Folk,
Animal Crossing: New Leaf,
Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp
The Squid (イカ, Ika) is a fish that can be found in the ocean between December and mid-August, at any time of the day. Despite its being called a fish in the Animal Crossing series, it is, in fact, a type of mollusk, like (but not directly related to) the Octopus.
Donating to the museum
In Wild World
"Octopus and squid both have ink, and I've seen squid ink in recipes quite often... Strangely, however, I've never heard of a dish that uses octupus ink! I suppose it's partially due to the fact that octopi produce very little ink... What ink they DO make is watery and ill-suited for cooking, as well... That said, I've heard that the flavor is not at all repugnant, eh wot? Perhaps an octopus-ink pasta wouldn't be bad..."
After being given to the museum, the Squid will appear in the ocean tank of the aquarium, propelling itself around towards the back.
In New Leaf
The information board in front of the tank that houses the Squid says the following:
- "People assume squids have legs, but those are actually arms. There are 10 in all; two are used to grab prey. To swim, they twist their fins and expel water from inside their bodies to allow for fluid motion. The ink they shoot when threatened forms into the shape of a squid, acting as a sort of body double."
Chip will say this when given a Squid:
- "A great thing to try with a squid is drying it overnight. Delicious, even with all those tentacles and suckers! Not that I have the patience to wait that long, of course. I'm getting the urge to snack!"
| ''Eight of its ten appendages are arms, and the other two are tentacles."|
| ''Eight of the tentacles are legs--the two longer ones are actually arms."|
The type of squid in Animal Crossing is not mentioned, but judging by the in-built City Folk description, it maybe a European Squid which is white with two long arms. The family name, 'Loliginidae' is commonly referred to as the inshore, calamari, and grass squid. Squids eat small plants, insects and small animals that float on the surface of the ocean.
Squid icon in Animal Crossing.
The Squid as it appears in Animal Crossing: New Leaf's fish encyclopedia.
Squid icon in Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer.
Names in other languages
|Spanish||Calamar||Same as in English.|