- "I caught a freshwater goby! Go me, goby!" —Animal Crossing (GCN)
- "I caught a freshwater goby! Now, go be in my pocket!" —Wild World
- "I caught a freshwater goby! Goby? Go, me!" —City Folk
- "I caught a freshwater goby! You fresh, goby!" —New Leaf
- "I caught a freshwater goby! Time to go bye-bye!" —New Horizons
|Scientific name||Odontobutis obscura|
|Family||Gobiidae - Gobies|
|Time of year||All year|
|Time of day||All day (Animal Forest),|
4 pm to 9 am (Animal Crossing, Wild World, City Folk)
|Shadow size||Small (Animal Crossing, New Leaf),|
Tiny (Wild World),
Medium (City Folk)
|Selling price||300 Bells|
400 Bells New Horizons
Donating to the Museum
In Animal Crossing
"This is one of those fish that seem to mysteriously disappear from time to time. Drives fishermen batty, wot! Have no fear, dear friend! You're leaving this beauty in very good wings, hmmmm? Hoo! Owl humor. Hoo hoo!"
In Wild World
"A friend of mine claims that freshwater goby tastes fantastic on pizza. What a loon, eh wot?"
In City Folk
"This round little fish may look like a mild-mannered goby at first...but it's actually quite aggressive. The freshwater goby is known for its tendency to try to eat anything that will fit in its mouth... Rather shocking, really. I'm quite glad this little piggy's mouth is nowhere near owl-sized, eh wot?"
After donation, the freshwater goby can be found in the middle-left tank.
In New Leaf
An information board in the aquarium will display this description of the freshwater goby after donation:
"These short and stocky river-dwelling fish have a lot of slender teeth for tearing apart other fish. Freshwater gobies dig holes under rocks in riverbeds to make nests for eggs, which the males guard. Other fish breeds take advantage of this protective quality and often lay eggs in goby nests."
In New Horizons
- "The freshwater goby is an unassuming specimen. But beneath that calm, fish exterior, true gluttony resides! It will eat anything that will fit in its mouth...And its mouth is quite the gaping maw, so I recommend you refrain from drawing attention to yourself!" —Blathers
|''To keep from getting swept away, they use suction cups to stabilize themselves. They have an audible cry."|
|''These taste differently, depending on the river they're caught in."|
The freshwater goby is typically a native fish to tropical and temperate areas of Asia.
Names in other languages
|Spanish||Gobio de río||River goby|
|French||Gobie d'eau douce||Freshwater goby|
|From scientific name|