April Fools' Day
|Host||Tortimer [nb 1]|
|Name in other languages|
April Fools' Day (known as April Fool's Day prior to Animal Crossing: New Leaf) is an event held on the first day of April in the Animal Crossing series. Like its real-world counterpart, April Fools' Day generally consists of pranks being played on the player.
In Animal Crossing
On April Fool's Day in Animal Crossing, Tortimer will appear near the Wishing Well. If spoken to, he will jokingly say he is retiring and making the player the mayor, then he will give them Super Tortimer, a nonfunctional "prank" NES game.
Additionally, various special characters tell the player a prank on the player when first spoken to:
- Blathers tells the player that a fossilized alien life-form was donated to the museum, from the planet "April Fool".
- Booker tells the player that he lost 20 pounds[nb 3] from his new diet of doughnuts and coffee, before apologizing for pranking them.
- Mabel tells the player that Gracie's outfit is just body paint.
- Mom sends the player a letter saying she and the player's father are giving them their inheritance.
- Pelly tells the player that her and Pete are going on a date.
- Phyllis tells the player that Tom Nook is closing his store and moving out of town.
- Porter tells the player that Mr. Resetti has no fur under his helmet.
- Sable tells the player that Tom Nook is going to start selling "very saucy" bikinis at his store.
- Tom Nook tells the player he is having a special one-day sale where everything is 90% off.
In Wild World
On April Fool's Day. in Animal Crossing: Wild World, the player receives a letter from Mom saying that a tree fell onto their house and crushed it, before revealing it was a just joke.
In City Folk
In Animal Crossing: City Folk, Tortimer will appear outside Town Hall on April Fool's Day and will say he does not understand the idea of April Fool's Day, before pranking the player by giving them nothing. After he reveals it was a prank, he gives the player the Leaf—a furniture item whose appearance when placed in a house is identical that of a furniture item dropped on the ground outside. The player also receives a letter from Mom.
In New Leaf
In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, April Fools' Day is a larger event, being hosted by Blanca, who appears in the event plaza. If spoken to, she will tell the player that she wants to play a game with them. The game involves Blanca appearing in a villager's house disguised as the villager alongside the real one, and the player must, through each character's dialog, determine which one is Blanca. One of the characters will give the player a towel, which the player must give to one of them; if given to Blanca, she will wipe off her disguise and move to another villager's house. Which character is the imposter is determined by statements made by them, including their favorite saying, skill, future goal, and number of siblings.
If the player correctly identifies Blanca, the real villager will give them their picture, and if the player correctly identifies Blanca in each villager's house, she will send them Blanca's Pic in the mail the next day.
Blathers pranking the player in Animal Crossing
Tortimer in Animal Crossing: City Folk
Blanca revealing herself in Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- In Animal Crossing and City Folk
- In New Leaf only
- In the European version, he instead says he "lost 30 kg", which is approximately 66 pounds.