Animal Crossing: New Horizons version 1.3.0 – Free Summer Update (Wave 1)
The Free Summer Update (Wave 1) for Animal Crossing: New Horizons (version 1.3.0) was an update released on July 3, 2020. This update marked the return of sea creatures and the swimming mechanic, and added a new NPC known as Gullivarrr. It was announced on June 25, 2020. Players who downloaded this update would receive a snorkel mask as a gift.
Sea creatures and swimming
There are 40 sea creatures in total, ten more than New Leaf. New sea creatures include Sea Pig, Slate Pencil Urchin, Moon Jellyfish, Mussel, Whelk, Gigas Giant Clam, Umbrella Octopus, Vampire Squid, Firefly Squid, Gazami Crab, Dungeness Crab, Sea Pineapple, and Venus' Flower Basket. The Ear Shell, Clam, and Horsehair Crab did not return from New Leaf. The museum will host any sea creatures in the already existing fish exhibit.
Pascal makes his return in 1.3.0, appearing when a player catches a Scallop. If the player chooses to give their scallop to Pascal, he will give them either a DIY recipe in the Mermaid Series, a mermaid fishy dress, a mermaid princess dress, or a pearl. Pearls can also be found from a small, stationary shadow, and can be used for DIY recipes. However, Pearls are not considered a sea creature.
Gullivarrr was a new NPC added in 1.3.0, with a similar mission as Gulliver, but requiring the player to dive in to find his communicator. When completed, he will mail the player any furniture from the Pirate Series or pirate-themed clothing.
Events and holidays
Items added in 1.3.0
The names of the following items were changed:
- Cake dress → Wedding dress
- Writing chair → Study chair
- Writing desk → Study desk
- Writing poster → Study poster
The following dialogue changes were made:
Original text Modified text I'd love to introduce you to all the little seeds and saplings I've got with me today! I'd love to introduce you to all the little seeds and starts I've got with me today! I'll be here if you change your mind. I'll be here if you need me. I've heard that my good pal Timmy started a shop here, so I thought I'd pay him a visit. I've heard that my good pal Timmy moved out here, so I thought I'd pay him a visit. Oh! Heya, <player name>. Isn't this the most perfect day to shop for flowers? Oh! Hello! Isn't this the most perfect day to shop for flowers? And it's currently in season, so you can enjoy those magical blossoms as soon as you plant this little friend. This is the time of year when it looks its very best, so plant this little friend soon to see it in bloom.
- Smug villagers:
Original text Modified text Glad you asked! Right now, I'm making a wonderful and amazing <DIY recipe>. I got the idea to make it from a crazy dream I had the other night. Glad you asked! I'm just making <DIY recipe>! The recipe came to me in a dream...
- Leif, Saharah, and Kicks are no longer guaranteed to show up every week. Instead, any special visitor can appear on any weekday. In the result of the change to NPC schedules, K.K. Slider now appears on Sundays instead of a Friday in the case of an event taking place on Saturday.
- Saharah can now allow the player to continue the conversation after buying an item.
- Wisp's item gifts chances have changed slightly. His clothing category price range of 300 – 4,999 Bells has changed to 300 – 2,999 Bells.
- Several fish names in Korean and Simplified Chinese were corrected.
- A glitch to hide the camera UI was fixed, although the ability to hide the camera UI would be added in the 1.4.0 Summer Update (Wave 2).
- An issue where players could walk out of bounds by using a table or a bench item was fixed.
- An issue where a new villager would assume the exterior of the previously moved-out villager, commonly caused by time traveling backwards, was fixed.
Version 1.3.1 of New Horizons was released on July 10, 2020.
- An issue where players could not properly use a Zen Bridge or Red Zen Bridge placed on top of a cliff (third tier) was fixed.
- An issue where a Wet Suit would not be available for sale within Nook's Cranny was fixed.
- An issue where Hermit Crabs would appear in places other than the beach was fixed.
- An issue where a dialogue bubble would improperly appear after speaking with a villager was fixed.
- Nintendo (June 25, 2020). "Animal Crossing: New Horizons Free Summer Update - Wave 1 - Nintendo Switch". YouTube. Retrieved January 30, 2021.