- "I caught a dab! Oh wait... Are you an olive flounder? Oh, yeah, you are, aren't you?" —Wild World
- "I caught an olive flounder! Hey, flatty bo batty!" —City Folk
- "I caught a dab... Huh? Just kidding! It's an olive flounder! Make up your mind, fishy!" —New Leaf
|Scientific name||Paralichthys olivaceus|
|Family||Paralicthydae - Large-tooth flounders|
|Time of year||All year|
|Time of day||All day|
Common (Pocket Camp)
|Selling price||800 Bells|
The olive flounder (ヒラメ, Hirami) is an uncommon fish that can be found in the ocean. It appears all day at any time during the year. It is a member of the flatfish group. This fish is a lighter brown than the dab and also shows two eyes. It sells for 800 Bells at Tom Nook's store.
Donating to the museum
As with all bugs and fish in the Animal Crossing series, the olive flounder can be donated to the Museum by talking to Blathers. During a donation, Blathers will tell the player a bit about the donation. Below is what he has to say.
In Wild World
Blathers has this to say about the olive flounder in Animal Crossing: Wild World:
- "For some time, I was convinced that olive flounder tasted of olives. It turned out that it was a rather elaborate joke played upon me... I should have known there are no such things as flounder olives, either!"
In City Folk
Upon donating the olive flounder in Animal Crossing: City Folk, Blathers will say the following:
- "Olive flounders are masters of self-transformation... who, I'm told, can grow to almost 40 inches (a meter) long. That's like some sort of underwater bath mat! It's a good thing you caught this one while it's still young!"
It can be found in the tank at the back of the aquarium, hiding underneath sand, with other ocean fish.
In New Leaf
The information board in front of the tank that holds the olive flounder says the following:
- "Olive flounders are rather flexible whitefish that have both eyes on the left side of their body. They can reach three feet in length and are commonly mistaken for dabs, a close relative. When young, they have an eye on each side, but as they age, their right eye migrates to their left side. These carnivorous fish can change color to camouflage themselves on the seabed as they wait for prey."
Chip will say this when given a olive flounder:
- "Olive flounder–BOY, are they tasty! In fact, I'm just gonna go ahead and scarf this guy down right very second! I can hardly wait!"
|''Their eyes are in the middle when they are born, then move to either side as they mature."|
|''These look like dabs, but the eyes migrate after birth to the left side."|
The Olive Flounder is an Asian flatfish that occupies a large area of Asian flatfish taken for commercial reasons. Hirame (平目 / ヒラメ) as it is called in Japan or (광어 Korea Flatfish) as it is known is Korea is widely raised in aquaculture in China, Korea and Japan as a food fish. It is a very large type of flatfish that can be well over a meter in length which is far larger than most other species that typically never reach more than 30 cm.
Olive Flounder icon in Doubutsu no Mori e+.
Olive Flounder icon in Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer.
Names in other languages