Emotions are gestures used by both the player and non-playable characters, mainly villagers. The purpose of various emotions are to display or emphasize various moods or feelings of the user without the use of words or text.
Aside from expressing emotions when in conversation, villagers may also show an emotion when walking about town.
- A dark purple cloud with a swirl means the villager is either sad or is sick (indoors only).
- An exclamation mark above a villager's head appears either when they are realizing something or, if not talking to anyone, wanting to talk to the player.
- If steam is coming out of a villager's head, he or she is angry.
- When he or she is singing, that means the villager is happy.
- Villagers may also clap when a player catches a rare fish or insect or sometimes when fireworks go off in Wild World and City Folk. They react in shock if the player catches a piece of trash instead.
- Only in New Leaf sometimes villagers may show the 'thought' emotion and stop in place requesting they are not spoken to, as they are too deep in thought. This emotion usually happens when the player talks too much to the villager and takes a while for them to "reset" and will be "social" again.
- When hit with the Toy Hammer, they react with a shocked emotion.
Conversations with villagers and players sometime cause a villager's emotion to change from normal to happy, sad, or angry. Conversations cannot be started if a Villager is angry or sad - the villager will tell the player he or she does not feel like talking. In Animal Crossing, Peppy villagers will sometimes cheer themselves up when players talk to them.
Villagers can use the Mayor's emotions while using Amiibo Camera in Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo. Strangely, villagers can use emotions they cannot normally use here, like Smug villagers can use the Angry and Outrage emotions.
The player can get emotions from Dr. Shrunk in a random encounter with him when he is walking around their village.
Dr. Shrunk is found in the city's theater, where emotions can be learned for 800 Bells. He is very rarely replaced by Frillard, who teaches emotions unknown to Dr. Shrunk. A player can retain up to four emotions at a time. If a fifth emotion is to be learned, one of the previous four must be forgotten.
Dr. Shrunk can be found in Club LOL every day, however, if the player visits him after 12 PM and before the club's opening at 8 PM, he will offer to perform for the player in exchange for some Fruit or a food item. Being a former stage comedian, Dr. Shrunk's performances consist of him telling a joke and demonstrating the related emotion for the player to learn. Upon learning an emotion, the player can access it for use from their joke book, which is given to them by Dr. Shrunk after his first performance.
Emotions can be unlocked by completing a client's house. There are 48 emotions, with 8 emotions new to the game.
This is a list of emotions that the player can learn throughout the Animal Crossing series.
The emotions tab in Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer