The town tune (formatted as Town Tune in Animal Crossing and known as the island tune in New Horizons) is a melody that plays in the player's town. It is customizable and can contain one to sixteen notes.
Creation and usage
A town tune is represented by frog icons for each eighth note. They can be set to the natural pitches between G3 and E5 (almost two octaves), a question mark representing a random sharp note, a dash which sustains the previous note, and a sleeping frog representing a rest.
Town tunes are played in the following situations:
- When the player talks to a villager or special character for the first time in a certain amount of time, the town tune plays. Each character plays a unique variation of the town tune with instruments and timing that reflect their personality.
- At the beginning of each hour, the town hall's bells chime to the melody of the town tune.
- When someone enters or exits a building with a door, bells will jingle to the melody of the town tune, sped up.
- In games prior to New Leaf, when the player interacts with an instrument, the tune will be played at the same speed as any music playing in the room.
- When a villager is happy, they will sing the town tune.
In Animal Crossing
In Doubutsu no Mori, Animal Crossing, and Doubutsu no Mori e+, the Town Tune is customized via a board outside the post office. On the board, the player has the option to scan a Town Tune e-Reader card, which will produce a tune based on the one on the K.K. Slider song on the scanned card. Villagers may ask the player to change the Town Tune, with some complaining about its quality.
The default Town Tune differs between Animal Crossing and Doubutsu no Mori e+.
In Wild World and City Folk
In Animal Crossing: Wild World and Animal Crossing: City Folk, the town tune is customized in Town Hall by speaking to Pelly or Phyllis at the civic center. The default town tune differs between the two games.
In New Leaf
In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, the town tune is customized in Town Hall by speaking to Isabelle. Once the player creates a tune, Isabelle will preview it by singing it.
There are four possible default town tunes in New Leaf.
In New Horizons
In Animal Crossing: New Horizons, the island tune does not play until Resident Services is upgraded to a building. Once the upgrade occurs, the tune can be customized by speaking to Isabelle. Like in New Leaf, she will sing the chosen tune upon its creation.
Default town tunes
These are the default melodies for the town tune throughout the series. Each game features a variation of the same basic tune.
The default town tune in Doubutsu no Mori e+
The default town tune in City Folk
The default island tune in New Horizons
e-Card town tunes